Parallels 3.0 Not Working in Leopard 10.5

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by rempe00, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Victor

Victor Member

Also cant run, but Ive not yet tried to reinstall.

2. mrfearless47

mrfearless47 Member

Am using Parallels 3.0, build 5160. Upgraded a Mac Pro to Leopard last night. Have been systematically testing out programs that have no published updates. Double clicked on the Parallels icon. Got as far as the select an OS screen. Clicked on Windows XP and the system kernel panicked. Had to do a hard reboot of the entire system. Will try uninstalling 5160 and then reinstalling to see whether this makes a difference. Not a pleasant occurrence. VM Fusion works just fine.

3. JNieves

JNieves Junior Member

More problems

Add me to the group, since installing Leopard the Parallels virtual machine just hangs at the "Windows is shutting down" screen. Have uninstalled and reinstalled several times, even reinstalled Leopard (using Archive and Install) thinking the problem might have come from doing an upgrade. I also erased my Boot Camp drive and reinstalled Windows via Boot Camp. The VM did shut down (albeit slowly) on the initial boot of the VM but it seems that as soon as the Parallels Tools start working it refuses to shut down. I'm also getting errors relating to the Windows partition not mounting but those do not seem to affect the immediate operation of the VM.
    Using Parallels 5160, with Boot Camp (XP Pro SP2) on a separate internal drive on a Mac Pro, 4 GB memory.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  4. moas

moas Junior Member

Same deal...

I've been using parallels for about a month, no issues except coherence caused crashes so I stuck with full screen/windowed version.

Running a Mac Pro dual quad-xeon config, with dual Nvidia graphics cards (for the dual 30" displays) - 10 GB memory.

When I run parallels it hangs when loading Vista. Sometimes I get this error:

CVirtualMAchine::VmViewScreen() Aggurment is invalid!

Very helpful... :)

I've also uninstalled and re-installed as per the detailed instructions in one of the parallels KB ("if you get to where the VM is loading the OS and it fails, do this"). where I check for permissions, uninstalled, clear out some folders and files, recheck permissions (reboots in there for good measure) and reinstall Parallels. Same deal.

Tried to roll back to a clean vista install snapshot... no dice.

5. groupofone

groupofone Bit poster

Parallels didn't work for me until I applied the new Keychain update. Not sure if this was the cause of the problem (Parallels said it couldn't access the partition, even after multiple reboots and a reinstallation), but I'm back up and working again after the update from Apple.

-D

6. moas

moas Junior Member

Following Keychain/Login Update

No dice. I get the same hang and CVirtualMAchine::VmViewScreen() Argument is invalid! error.

7. louish

louish Junior Member

Fresh install of everything, Parallels would lock up trying to boot into "My Boot Camp", and would lock up as soon as i clicked the green play button. Had to force quit. After I did the Keychain update... now it starts, I see the black screen booting the hard drive.. then crashes. I tried it again, got the Safe Mode prompt, tried safe mode with networking, crashed half way.

8. Avorcor

Avorcor Bit poster

Performance issues in Leopard for 5160

I didn't see anyone else specify it, but I thought it would be good to raise that I am seeing performance issues running 5160 under 10.5

I run W2003 Server under Parallels and I do MSFT .NET CF development under this environment. There's a Windows Mobile 2003 emulator that I use to test my products and it usually runs at a relatively good rate. Today, it took 3x as long for the emulator to start up and run my app then it did under 10.4.

I checked that I do have acceleration on and best performance for Parallels set. It seems as if the acceleration is not working though, even though it is turned on.

9. mglish

mglish Junior Member

My experience after reading this thread and following some of the advice.

After upgrading to Leopard, I launched Parallels build 5160 and got a message about the file system timing out. But it looked like it worked so I kept going. Everything seemed normal until I tried to get on the web. I couldn't get to a web page or even ping one of the computers on my network. I changed the network adapter from Shared Networking to Default Adapter and I could access the network normally. One thing that didn't work well was Windows Media Player. Videos were very jerky.

After a reboot, I had to switch the adapter setting again, so I figured I would try to reinstall. I had been having trouble with 5160 anyway and somewhere on this forum someone recommended to uninstall/install for that so I figured what the heck. I did that and Parallels wouldn't start at all.

So I decided to fall back to build 4560. That went smoothly. When I started it up, I got the same message about the file system timing out. WMV still is jerky, but the networking works without having to change anything. So I'll stick with 4560 for now.

You'd think that the Parallels folks would have let users know if 5160 wasn't ready for Leopard... More than that, you'd think that they would have gotten it to work BEFORE Leopard was released. Let's hope they get their act together soon. I really depend on this software!

Mike

10. charles stewart

charles stewart Bit poster

Same problem with Leopard tonight

Parallels won't run anymore after installing Leopard. Someone didn't do their homework. So PARALLELS How about a fix???

11. jmanos3

jmanos3 Member

I am fortunate in that I am having success with using Parallels 3.0 Build 4560 and Leopard 10.5. Here are the details.

I have been using build 4560 on an iMac since the build came out. I have a single Windows XP Professional session that I use for work. The session originally was a VMware session that I converted to Parallels. While I have used BootCamp, I have never tried to use Parallels & BootCamp together.

Today I purchased a MacBookPro and completed the Leopard upgrade included in the box. I then installed Parallels 3.0 Build 4560. I was able to run my Windows session without a problem.

12. Skeuomorph

Skeuomorph Junior Member

Same symptoms, but I'm not using, and have never used, BootCamp. I've only used Parallels.

Earlier this this thread I described a degeneration into total unusability. After total uninstall and reinstall of Parallels, I'm able to access my VM again. However, like JNieves, I'm unable to get past the "Windows is shutting down" screen. (And, when first choosing shutdown, Parallels Tools Center times and and has to be End Task'd.

13. JNieves

JNieves Junior Member

Another issue

One more thing I've encountered. Reinstalling Parallels seems to bring things back to normal if I erase all virtual machines and start from scratch, but on the second or third Windows boot the problems recur. The first VM boot after Parallels Tools is installed loses internet connectivity. Rebooting brings back the Parallels Tools Center hang on shutdown and forces an "End Now" from the crash dialog. After force-quitting Parallels my apps won't start, I get a bouncing icon in the Dock but no apps start. The apps already running continue to work. Time Machine's backup freezes. Finder appears to continue to work normally. Command-alt-esc brings up the Force Quit box but the bouncing icon apps don't respond to the Force Quit command. The Restart and Shut Down menu commands stop working and the machine needs a hard shutdown and power-up to recover. When booting via Boot Camp I have to watch for the bootloader and choose "Windows XP" quickly, if the Parallels boot starts I get a blue screen. Parallels is basically useless (even dangerous to use) under these conditions.

14. Skeuomorph

Skeuomorph Junior Member

You're watching my screen, aren't you. All details the same here. And it's really interesting to me that it gets worse each run until a re-install.

15. MicroDev

MicroDev Hunter

I am experiencing success with Leopard, Bootcamp, PWS 5160. This is what I did:

1) Installed Leopard from scratch on a MacBook Pro 17 (Core Duo 2)
    2) Setup Boot Camp and restored the volume with WinClone
    3) Migrated my user account (not apps) from my old MacBook Pro (Migration Assistant)
    4) Installed PWS 5160. My old virtual machines were there (I have used the same VM all the way back to the original Beta too)
    5) Rebooted
    6) Started PWS, edited my virtual machine memory config (increased)
    7) Shutdown PWS
    8) Started PWS and loaded my WinXP virtual machine (not Bootcamp)

So far, everything except mounting the hard disk in the finder worked. At first start, I received a message that the volume took too long to mount and was unmounted. Other than that, everything else worked as expected.

I will try an Leopard upgrade on the old MacBook box next and report back those findings if anything is different. I also have a Mac Pro so maybe the problems are related to the hardware. It would be useful to know what kind of hardware configurations are experiencing problems and how long the VM has been used with Parallels (i.e., created new in 5160) and so on.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  16. BenFischer

BenFischer Bit poster

This is weird, I did nothing to Parallels, just rebooted my mac and it's working now. Parallels 3.0 and Leopard 10.5. Yesterday, no joy. Today, so far, so good.

17. nsmnsm

nsmnsm Bit poster

I have Mac Pro and didn't install Parallels until after upgrading to Leopard. Parallels Desktop crashes immediately. There are two messages on the console:

10/28/07 10:59:01 AM [0x0-0x6b06b].com.parallels.desktop[58733] QFSFileEngine::eek:pen: No file name specified
    10/28/07 10:59:03 AM [0x0-0x6b06b].com.parallels.desktop[58733] Parallels Desktop 3.0 critical error! Send log file ( /Library/Parallels/bugreports/parallels-fault-105903.280907.58733.log ) to reports@parallels.com

18. jkajfes

jkajfes Bit poster

same here working for me this morning and I have no idea why... or it seems to be went in/out a few times, did a few things and it closed.. haven't really used it intensively though that might come later in the week. I'm a little nervous as one app I use for business and they won't make a mac version so eventually this needs to be solid.

I can boot a windows partition and work in that hopefully with problems until this is resolved.

19. jamus

jamus Bit poster

It works (5160 w/Boot Camp) for me but only on the first and second boot of my VM after I restart OS X. Now I _don't_ shut down my VM unless I'm planning on restarting my entire system.

20. MicroDev

MicroDev Hunter

After installing the Cisco VPN I am now seeing the same thing. First, errors such as 'Unable to allocate memory PE', then a kernel panic. After reboot, it works again. I also noticed this warning popping up in the logs now probably due to the disk not mounting in the Finder properly:

Oct 28 14:35:45 MBP17d2 [0x0-0x14014].com.parallels.desktop[175]: Break on __THE_PROCESS_HAS_FORKED_AND_YOU_CANNOT_USE_THIS_COREFOUNDATION_FUNCTIONALITY___YOU_MUST_EXEC__() to debug.
    Oct 28 14:35:45 MBP17d2 [0x0-0x14014].com.parallels.desktop[175]: fusefs@0 on /private/tmp/175/C (gave up on init handshake)