Ubuntu 20.04 upgrade causes black screen on reboot

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by NicholasW6, Apr 19, 2020.

1. NicholasW6

NicholasW6 Bit poster

Anyone know a fix for Ubuntu 20.04? After I upgrade it just has a black screen after booting. By using control + alt + 2 I was able to get a textual login screen, but nothing else.

RobertoN1 and Fuocoman like this.
  2. Fuocoman

Fuocoman Bit poster

Same problem with Kali

3. RobertoN1

RobertoN1 Bit poster

4. RobertoN1

RobertoN1 Bit poster

5. RobertoN1

RobertoN1 Bit poster

A fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04 focal works. Also mounting and installing the Parallels Tools works on my side. Tested on Parallels
    Version 15.1.4 (47270) and OSX 10.14.6. After spending two hours trying to fix my upgraded (from 18.10 over 19.04 to 20.04) Ubuntu, I gave up and downloaded the Ubuntu 20.04 ISO and re-installed it (took me 15mins). Not sure how I would have fixed it but now I have a working, supported and properly installed Ubuntu LTS.

zslg01 likes this.
  6. zslg01

zslg01 Member

Same here --- I installed a fresh Ububtu 20.04 and all works fine - even the Parallels Tools installs fine. Running on OS X Catalina and Parallels Pro build 48507.
    Mint 19.3 works fine as well - now if they could just bring themselves to support FreeBSD ...

7. MaxB8

MaxB8 Bit poster

I've got the same problem here. The problem is switching to GUI mode / X-Windows greeter. I'm not sure what change there was coming from 18.04 LTS to 20.04 LTS.
    Ctrl + Alt + F2 brings up the console and the system is running.
    • Removing guest tools didn't help
    • Installing guest tools didn't help
    So I then turn off the splash screen (Plymouth) so I can see what's happening at boot

Code:
    sudo -i
    vim /etc/default/grub
      remove 'quiet splash' from GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="".  Leave the quotes
    update-grub

Now I can see that the boot gets to "[ OK ] Reached Target Graphical Interface." and doesn't do much after that.
    Now on to figure out how to get X-Windows runnning...

8. MaxB8

MaxB8 Bit poster

Running `startx` from the console (Ctrl + Alt + F2) works, and KDE boots. I'm guessing this is all because I was setup to use KDE w/ 18.04 LTS and now it's switched to Gnome as default? Still digging.

9. MaxB8

MaxB8 Bit poster

I fixed this by switching back to gnome, and selecting gdm3 instead of sddm as the Display Manager. I think this was all because I was migrating from Kubuntu (KDE) 18.04 and not normal Ubuntu 18.04 (Gnome).

Code:
    sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop
    # Choose gdm3 when the prompt comes up

Fixed!

10. RichardS39

RichardS39 Bit poster

I can report that a new install from the iso image of Ubuntu 20.04 with Parallels Version 13.3.2 (43368) goes to a black screen after manually selecting "English" and "install" prompts from the build of iso.

11. ThomasR13

ThomasR13 Junior Member

While a freshly installed Ubuntu 20.04 works fine, the Coherence mode is not available. Any hints how to enable it?