Windows 10 and older MacOS VMs in Parallels 15 together?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by robbie1, Apr 21, 2020.

1. robbie1

robbie1 Member

Hi,
    can i run either of the VMs: Windows 10 or MacOS Mojave on my Catalina MBPro without issues?
    I'm just about to install a Mojave VM on my Parallels 15 additionally to the Windows 10 VM.

Tha machine is a 2.9 GHz i9, 32 GB RAM and Vega 20 (4GB)...
    Thanks.
    rob

2. Hi, yes, you can.
    Please check this KB article for more info and let us know if it's not that case.

3. robbie1

robbie1 Member

Hi Maria,
    thanks for looking into it. I just come from this article. But my question is not about installing a Mojave VM, but about _coexistence of two VMs: Windows 10 and older macOS_. Could be any issues in either of the two?
    Bye.

4. kat

kat Product Expert

I have several vm's I have Win 7 and 10, Mac Mojave and Catalina and two other vm on my Mac Pro with macOs Catalina at this time. I run them separately. Issues generally occur when you don't allocate enough resources to the VMs or your actual OS.

5. robbie1

robbie1 Member

Thanks, kat. This is what i wanted to hear ;)

6. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi robbie1
    I forgot to let you know which Parallels I am working with. I am using Parallels 15 pro edition.

7. robbie1

robbie1 Member

kat, it seems to have worked, anyway :)
    BTW, how do i make my external USB drives (from Catalina) visible in the Mojave VM?
    Thanks again.
    rob

8. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi rob

Insert your usb device into your Mac with your vm running.
    . Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 1.49.20 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 1.49.43 PM.png

also if you are having other usb issues please see this knowledge base article if may help you: https://kb.parallels.com/en/111725

9. robbie1

robbie1 Member

thanks again, kat :)
    makes sense...

10. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi Rob,
    Your welcome, I am glad I could help.
    kat

11. robbie1

robbie1 Member

unfortunaltey it doesn't work. The new drive opens in Catalina, no reaction from Mojave... On Windows it does work, BTW.

Attached Files:

12. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi in Configuration make sure USB 3 is enabled under advanced Settings.
    Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 3.39.28 PM.png

Attached Files:

13. kat

kat Product Expert

I should have asked but have you installed Parallels Tools into the Mojave VM?

14. robbie1

robbie1 Member

OK, i think i'll manage it :) thanks

15. robbie1

robbie1 Member

no, i get a message to install from a CD, which i don't have (it's Parallels 15 Home)...

BTW, a way to install & configure a printer or a scanner (it was the main reason to have this VM on my Catalina) is like a usual Mac installation, ot should i know anything more?

Attached Files:

16. kat

kat Product Expert

You should still be able to install doing it by having vm open along the top menu (next to the apple on your Mac) select Actions>Reinstall Parallels tools>then follow the prompts to complete the installation. Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 9.40.29 PM.png

Installing any software inside of the vm is like installing it in any OS.

17. robbie1

robbie1 Member

i have only 'install...', not 'reinstall...'... do i need them?

Attached Files:

18. kat

kat Product Expert

Yes you need to install Parallels tools they help your VM to run properly. I get the message to reinstall Parallels Tools because I already have it installed in my VM.

19. robbie1

robbie1 Member

kat,
    the reinstallation was possible on Windows (which has repaired my MS Word from another thread - thanks for this tip :)), but on Mojave it's still the CD issue.
    BTW, is this the same Parallels Tools as for the Mojave VM?
    rob

20. kat

kat Product Expert

No not exactly the same to find when your vm is on go to the CD Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 2.49.33 PM.png Select connect Image
    A finder search window will come up then: go to Applications>Parallels desktop app>Contents>Resources>Tools>Prl-tools-mac.iso click on the tools for Mac.
    the install should start.