May 2020 Windows update problems

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RogerH6, May 21, 2020.

1. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

Is anyone else seeing issues since this update?.
    I'm seeing video oddities. For instance just pulled out the start menu, and it came out empty black. then the icons appeared as I ran the cursor over it.
    I've had white empty explorer windows, and black screens. All with varying degrees of erraticness.
    After the screen went completely black, I've just rebooted, and it has started working again.

Was all pretty OK on the last release.

On the current Parallels release. 15.1.4(47270).
    Check for updates says I have the latest software.
    Have reinstalled the tools.

I'm also seeing the clipboard behaving erratically, and sound has gone massively downhill.
    Have one VM, that I haven't let upgrade, and this runs without the issues.
    Have a second Mac, also with Parallels, and this is displaying similar problems though slightly less badly.
    That is a i9, the main machine a Xeon with Vega64.

2. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

A quick update. I just discovered something else. I'm running the VM to 'fill' an external 27" FineView monitor. If I reduce the size of the window a tiny bit (I dragged the bottom edge up 5mm), it all starts working OK!...

3. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

After a bit of fiddling around with Parallels support, have set the VM to 'scaled', and reduced the UI resolution in the Mac OS.
    This makes it then work.
    It looks as if the virtual screen driver 'hiccups' if trying to handle more than perhaps 10MB/screen (so perhaps 3 to 4M pixels).
    Something in the latest update has made this worse (perhaps Microsoft have actually improved the optimisation a little so the updates push things a bit more).
    A fault with the VM driver, but reduce the working resolution and it at least becomes useable....

4. pmconaway

pmconaway Member

RogerH6, doesn't Parallels usually update their software when Major Windows system updates occur. I would expect to see something soon. I hope.

5. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

We can hope.
    It can actually cause the VM to completely crash. I had to use the high resolution again, and in the middle of a major operation it completely crashed.
    Crossing things...

6. Hello, could you please reproduce the issue, collect the tech report right after that and reply us back with the report's ID.
    Looking forward to your reports.

7. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

My system sent about ten, since it did them automatically after the crash. When I tried to relaunch with the high resolution still implemented it refused to launch and sent a crash report each time. Had to physically reduce the Mac screen resolution which them forced the VM to reduce it's resolution, and things started working again....

8. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

You also had one where the screen was having problems when your support representative was on the system. She took a dump at that point.