Final Cut 7 and Sierra

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by LakeK, Oct 2, 2018.

1. LakeK

LakeK Bit poster

I have a new MacBook Pro with High Sierra OS installed, but for my internship I need to be able to install and use Final Cut Pro 7, which can only be used with Sierra OS and earlier. So, I installed the Sierra OS using Parallels and have been trying to download Final Cut, but keep running into issues. It will not install Final Cut because of these issues: 1. It requires 128gbVRAM and there is 0GB 2. Final Cut recommends a higher resolution of 1280x800 and mine is currently 1024x768 3. Final Cut requires a Quartz Extreme Video Card. Does anyone know if this is fixable? Do I need to configure things differently? Thanks.

2. SergeiF

SergeiF Bit poster

??????

3. Hi, did you try to add VRAM using this article
    And also check the needful resolution from VM configuration?

4. kiwifilm

kiwifilm Bit poster

I have a similar situation trying to run Final Cur Pro Studio on a Parallels 12 VM running El Capitan on a Sierra host MacBook Pro. Do the new features in Parallels 14 with improved vRAM support and OpenGL now support the minimum requirement spec for FCP Studio? i.e. Final Cut requires a Quartz Extreme Video Card and 128gb VRAM.

Note: FCP Studio still runs on Sierra but I understand it will die on High Sierra and above. I also have other legacy apps I need to keep running that need El Capitan, and I now have and El Cap VM running everything I need to keep running except Final Cut Pro Studio. Any help will be appreciated, and if it works on Parallels 14 then I'll upgrade immediately.

5. danh10

danh10 Bit poster

That solution does not make a difference... Even with the graphics memory set to 2GB, the installer still comes back saying zero VRAM

The machine supports this software, I know because it ran on the same hardware when I was using an older operating system.. But it doesn't install in a virtual setting. The suggestion by tech support to contact Apple is seriously wrong. Apple doesn't support old apps or old operating systems... Their solution is to buy new, even though old working files won't open with the new software of the same name.

6. RobertP34

RobertP34 Bit poster

Has anybody ever managed to run FCP7.0.3 on a Virtual Machine running Sierra? If so...HOW?
    Thanks
    Epic

7. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

When you run macOS X as a virtual machine it run like macOS X in Safe Mode and 3D acceleration is disabled. If the application you are trying to use will work in safe mode of macOS X then it will work in macOS X VM else it will not.

8. KimR3

KimR3 Junior Member

That is again another thing that Parallels LEAVES out of it's sales and marketing claims. Literally that is found NOWHERE in and of the presale documentation. Literally fraudulent business practices. The MAC OSX Virtual machines should NOT be running in safe mode with other functionality disabled.. NOT at all. How ridiculous this all is.

9. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Parallels Desktop does not support 2D or 3D acceleration in OS X/macOS guest operating systems (installed inside the virtual machine) because Apple does not provide an API for creating a video driver with 2D/3D acceleration support. You can refer the article for details.