"The recover server could not be contacted" error on creating Mojave VM

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by RachelS2, Feb 13, 2020.

1. RachelS2

RachelS2 Bit poster

So, I'm trying to set up a Mojave VM. Here's how it goes

1. I launch "Parallels Desktop"
    2. I select "File"->"New"
    3. In the "Create New" window, I choose "Install macOS 10.14.6 Using the Recovery Partition"
    4. I choose "Continue"
    5. In the "Installation Assistant" window, I choose "Install"
    6. I wait...
    7. I deny permissions on the camera and microphone when asked. (My VM doesn't need them.)
    8. I wait...
    9. In the "macOS" window, I choose "English" as my language
    10. In the "macOS Utilities" window I choose "Reinstall macOS"
    11. In the "Install macOS Mojave" window I choose "Continue"
    12. I get the error "The recovery server could not be contacted"

OK. So I gather the recovery installer (which doesn't contain the full macOS image, which it is trying to download) can't reach Apple's server to download the macOS image. How do I fix this?

2. RachelS2

RachelS2 Bit poster

I found that by switch the network setting to "Ethernet" from "Shared network" the problem resolved.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  3. ImranA

ImranA Bit poster

FWIW's I had the same problem today as I tried to install a duplicate OS on my MacBook Pro as a VM so I can let that be managed by my corporate network folks while I run corporate net apps. This way if they ever do a remote wipe on my machine it does not affect my actual MacBook Pro but only the VM. But repeated efforts to install Mojave failed with the same result. Changing the network did not have any effect. What worked for me was to doa reboot of the VM in Parallels by holding down the option key. When I selected install from recovery it worked just fine and is installing now. DO check if you happen to have TWO network adaptors active on your Mac. e.g. I have Ethernet via a TB hub and Wifi. As a precaution I had just pulled the Ethernet plug to avoid any confusion for the VM. Hope this helps.

IMRAN
    http://imran.tv

4. DrakoK

DrakoK Bit poster

What do you mean you "do a reboot of the VM in Parallels by holding down the option key"? I am trying this and am not getting any results.