DisableCameraDAL.plugin can't be opened - Catalina

Discussion in 'Parallels Toolbox for Mac' started by PaulB1, Nov 23, 2019.

?

Is this a good question?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PaulB1

PaulB1 Member

After upgrading to Mac Catalina, when I tried to activate "Disable Camera" it asked me for an admin password, then said I need to restart the computer.
    When the computer restarted, a message popped up that says:
    "!DisableCameraDAL.plugin" can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.
    What should I do?
    I already checked for a software update, it says I have the latest version of Parallels Toolbox.
    upload_2019-11-23_15-58-19.png
    upload_2019-11-23_15-55-23.png

2. sergk

sergk Parallels Developers

Hello,

please try this:
    1. Make sure that "Block Camera" tool is turned ON (the tool should be highlighted inside Parallels Toolbox).
    2. Open Toolbox window.
    3. Click on "Block Camera" tool with pressed "Option ⌥" key. The tool will ask password and remove it's plugin.
    4. Restart macOS.
    5. Turn "Block Camera" ON again. You will need to restart macOS another one time.

Does the problem persist?

3. PaulB1

PaulB1 Member

It seems to work normally now, thank you!

4. PaulB1

PaulB1 Member

Actually, now when I restart my computer or it wakes from sleep, I still get the same popup

5. sergk

sergk Parallels Developers

We need more time to investigate this issue.
    At now better to turn "Block Camera" off.

6. PaulB1

PaulB1 Member

Okay, I turned it off, and I keep getting the same popup box, so I Quit Toolbox and stopped it from opening at startup. Please advise when the issue is fixed

7. PaulB1

PaulB1 Member

So, the popup is still coming up sometimes even though Toolbox is not running, so I'm going to go ahead and delete the file !DisableCameraDAL.plugin

8. PaulB1

PaulB1 Member

So how is the investigation progressing? It is still happening

9. PaulB1

PaulB1 Member

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, now I'm getting an error activating my license key

10. DeborahM2

DeborahM2 Bit poster

I am having the same problem. I just updated to Catalina and upgraded my parallels. I've tried the steps above but no luck. Is there any progression on this?

11. PaulB1

PaulB1 Member

@DeborahM2 good luck. I haven't heard anything further about this. I no longer get the popup, but I don't remember if it's because I disabled or uninstalled something. But the fact that it's happening to you also means they clearly didn't fix the issue yet.

12. PaulB1

PaulB1 Member

It seems like a significant flaw. If the whole point of using a feature like "Disable Camera" is to believe that it will do what it says, but your computer is telling you it can't be opened because it doesn't have any way to make sure it doesn't have malicious behavior, then maybe using it could actually create some additional vulnerability and maybe it's time to tear off a piece of blue painters tape.