Problem with Parallels Tools and xrdp in Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by stoli412, May 13, 2020.

1. stoli412

stoli412 Member

I've recently migrated from VirtualBox to Parallels and I'm having an issue with xrdp inside Ubuntu (both 18.4 and 20.4). I've used this script for years to properly set up xrdp inside Ubuntu: http://c-nergy.be/blog/?p=14888

However, upon migrating my VMs to Parallels and installing Parallels Tools, RDP access is now broken; starting an RDP session is greeted with only a blank screen. If I uninstall Parallels Tools, RDP access works again. I thought this might be some issue with VM migration, so I set up a fresh Ubuntu VM to test and got the same results.

Can anyone explain what Parallels Tools does to the video driver and/or xorg configuration that causes xrdp to fail? Is there any way around the issue?

2. Abishek

Abishek Member

Hello @stoli412 Please help us with the exact Linux name and version along with the kernel version. Also, please generate a couple of technical report ID's one with the tools installed and other with the tools uninstalled to check and assist you further.

3. stoli412

stoli412 Member

Hi @Abishek@Parallels, I've opened up a support ticket (2766586) and submitted a few technical reports as requested:
    343770941 - no Parallels Tools installed (xrdp works)
    343771822 - with Parallels Tools installed (xrdp does not work)
    Both of those technical reports were done with Mint 20.04, but this issue affects all linux versions I've tested (Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04 and Mint 20.04). Ubuntu and Mint 20.04 are both running kernel version 5.4.0-39-generic.

4. stoli412

stoli412 Member

PS: Tests have been done with fresh installs (only xrdp and Parallels Tools installed) to rule out any other problems.

5. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We can see that you have contacted us through a support request and the issue is escalated to the development team.

6. SimoneR1

SimoneR1 Bit poster

Hi to everyone. There is any news on this issue? I got the same problem with Parallel 16.1.0 (48950) and ubuntu 20.04.1.

Mara Jade likes this.
  7. Mara Jade

Mara Jade Bit poster

Dear Parallels team, I have the same issue with Ubuntu 20.04, latest Parallels Tools installed and XRDP not working. Is there any update yet on this issue?

8. AndreaD4

AndreaD4 Bit poster

Same here:
    Parallels Tools (PT) not installed, VNC works (tightvnc, tigervnc or X11vnc; all flavours)/ PT installed -> VNC stops working/ PT uninstalled again -> VNC works again

Tested with Parallels Desktop for Mac - Pro Edition - 16.1.2 and
    Linux Mint 20
    Linux Debian Buster
    Linux Ubuntu 20.04.

9. AndreaD4

AndreaD4 Bit poster

EDIT: VNC obviously doesn't completely stop working, it just seems as if the client wouldn't have sufficient rights to display the screen; cursor movements from the client to the (VM guestOS) server via VNC connection are transferred! clicking works, we can even double-click to open apps (although in blind-mode)

10. AndreaD4

AndreaD4 Bit poster

EDIT2: We have narrowed it down a bit...
    This is how it's reproducable and what we followed for testing purposes: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2334
    (We used a fresh standard installation of Mint 20 made available by Parallels.)
    Then: Reboot the server and do not login.
    Access the server from another VNC client; all is good.
    Log into the server using the keyboard of the VNC client; the display stops refreshing and freezes on the VNC client; the monitor plugged into the server, though, shows the correct desktop and one can use mouse and keyboard to control the server.

11. AndreaD4

AndreaD4 Bit poster

EDIT3 (sorry :)): a fresh standard installation of Mint 20 including Parallels Tools installation of course

12. Roland07

Roland07 Junior Member

So this issue was submitted in May 2020. It has been escalated to the dev team but has it been closed? I've got the suspicion that Parallels prioritizes its own development toys and user bugs are not among these.

13. JorgeB5

JorgeB5 Junior Member

Same issue here with Parallels Pro 16.1.3 and Ubuntu 20.04. It kinda breaks the « Pro » purpose of the App.
    Please dear Prl team do something.

14. JorgeB5

JorgeB5 Junior Member