Problem with Parallels Tools and xrdp in Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux Guest OS Discussion' started by stoli412, May 13, 2020.

1. stoli412

stoli412 Bit Poster

I've recently migrated from VirtualBox to Parallels and I'm having an issue with xrdp inside Ubuntu (both 18.4 and 20.4). I've used this script for years to properly set up xrdp inside Ubuntu: http://c-nergy.be/blog/?p=14888

However, upon migrating my VMs to Parallels and installing Parallels Tools, RDP access is now broken; starting an RDP session is greeted with only a blank screen. If I uninstall Parallels Tools, RDP access works again. I thought this might be some issue with VM migration, so I set up a fresh Ubuntu VM to test and got the same results.

Can anyone explain what Parallels Tools does to the video driver and/or xorg configuration that causes xrdp to fail? Is there any way around the issue?

2. Abishek@Parallels

Abishek@Parallels Staff Member

Hello @stoli412 Please help us with the exact Linux name and version along with the kernel version. Also, please generate a couple of technical report ID's one with the tools installed and other with the tools uninstalled to check and assist you further.

3. stoli412

stoli412 Bit Poster

Hi @Abishek@Parallels, I've opened up a support ticket (2766586) and submitted a few technical reports as requested:
    343770941 - no Parallels Tools installed (xrdp works)
    343771822 - with Parallels Tools installed (xrdp does not work)
    Both of those technical reports were done with Mint 20.04, but this issue affects all linux versions I've tested (Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04 and Mint 20.04). Ubuntu and Mint 20.04 are both running kernel version 5.4.0-39-generic.

4. stoli412

stoli412 Bit Poster

PS: Tests have been done with fresh installs (only xrdp and Parallels Tools installed) to rule out any other problems.

5. Ajith@Parallels

Ajith@Parallels Parallels Support

We can see that you have contacted us through a support request and the issue is escalated to the development team.