Parallels Desktop 16 still won't start on macOS Big Sur Public Beta 4

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KrzysztofO, Aug 11, 2020.

1. KrzysztofO

KrzysztofO Junior Member

After the installation the app requested system restart which I immediately performed.
    However, now every time I try to open it I get asked "To complete Parallels Desktop setup, please restart your Mac [Quit] [Restart]".
    2 restarts later still the same popup.
    I tried deleting the app, restarting the system and installing it again. Still, the same result - the pop up asking me to restart the Mac.

macOS Big Sur 11.0 Beta (20A5343j) on 2017 MacBook Pro 13" upgraded from macOS Catalina 10.15.6 and the previous latest version of Parallels Desktop.
    Thank you in advance to anyone for any suggestions.

2. KrzysztofO

KrzysztofO Junior Member

I tried running the sudo kextcache --clear-staging enter and sudo "/Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/inittool2" init -b "/Applications/Parallels Desktop.app"
    prlsrvctl report id 346906290. Thank you

3. LeeR6

LeeR6 Member

I get the reboot too. I am confused by your statement. You said "I Tried running..." but you didn't say if it resolved your issue or not.

4. KrzysztofO

KrzysztofO Junior Member

No, none of these steps fixed the issue. I've been through multiple reinstalls and restarts, but to no avail. That's why I generated the report id for Parallels using prlsrvctl. I hope that it gets automatically uploaded to them, but genuinely I'm not sure.

LeeR6 likes this.
  5. LeeR6

LeeR6 Member

So I ran the following: sudo kextcache --clear-staging enter and sudo "/Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/inittool2" init -b "/Applications/Parallels Desktop.app"
    And I keep getting the "reboot"

6. LeeR6

LeeR6 Member

Gotcha. So hopefully Parallels will see that we are getting prompted to reboot to finish out the installation and it isn't working for Big Sur Beta 4.

The good news, seems to be, that they are putting their focus on Parallels 16 and it is released to the public via downloads if you already have a license. That being said, I get the feeling that they will need to release it via the App Store. I feel they are getting closer to having it work.

KeithBajura and EricW21 like this.
  7. KrzysztofO

KrzysztofO Junior Member

Well, technically Parallels 16 is not supported on Big Sur yet, BUT the KB article on bugs in Parallels 15 with Big Sure Beta 3 and 4 has now Parallels 16 mentioned as the solution. So it's either that they still have bugs that they haven't consider or the bugs are inside Big Sur itself and Apple promised Parallels to fix them by the GM release.
    Anyway, I'm looking for someone from Parallels to confirm either option or provide any steps that could help me troubleshoot further.
    It's good to hear that I'm not the only one affected.

LeeR6 likes this.
  8. cybermice

cybermice Junior Member

+ Same issue with Beta 4.. I still get a "To complete Parallels Desktop setup, please restart your Mac [Quit] [Restart]" message with Parallels Desktop 16. I installed v16 over v15.
    + https://kb.parallels.com/en/125039 did not help. From that KB article:
    If Parallels Desktop is already installed, temporary workaround is to run Parallels Desktop as shown below:
    1. Open Terminal (Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal).
    2. Execute the following commands one by one:
      export SYSTEM_VERSION_COMPAT=1
      open -a "Parallels Desktop"
    If Parallels Desktop fails to install, do the following:
    1. If Parallels Desktop App Store Edition is installed, uninstall it.
    2. Download Parallels Desktop 15 installation file. Other Parallels Desktop versions can be
      downloaded here
    3. Double-click the downloaded file to mount it.
    4. Open Terminal (Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal) and execute the
      following commands one by one:
      sudo -E -s
      (You will need to enter your Mac password to run the command. No symbols will be shown due to security measures, so just hit the keys and use Return/Enter.)
      cd /Volumes/Parallels\ Desktop\ 15
      export SYSTEM_VERSION_COMPAT=1
      open Install.app
    5. If the installation is successful, run Parallels Desktop by following the instructions
      above

JamesW16 likes this.
  9. LeeR6

LeeR6 Member

Thanks. Fortunately, this isn't on my production Mac and I see in other threads where people have received the email and went to upgrade and are having "other" issues. Keep us posted! I am dead in the water at this point.

10. cybermice

cybermice Junior Member

11. KrzysztofO

KrzysztofO Junior Member

That workaround never worked for me with v15 and it still doesn't work for v16.

EricW21 likes this.
  12. LeeR6

LeeR6 Member

SO.... this is what I am hearing you say:

You attempted to install 16, but got the reboot pop-up
    You blew 16 away
    You dl and install 15 using above commands. (Obviously 15 won't run)
    You dl and installed 16 without uninstalling 15 and it worked

13. LeeR6

LeeR6 Member

I tried the workaround, too. Didn't work.

14. BeeM

BeeM Bit poster

Same issue. I am using Beta 4 and upgarded from ver. 15 to ver. 16.
    Tried "export SYSTEM_VERSION_COMPAT=1" and still doesn't work and popup "restart" on both 15 and 16.
    Hope it will get fixed soon...

15. CoreyB1

CoreyB1 Bit poster

BEEN TRYING EVERYTHING!!! Just need my one application to work within Parallels I was a fool to go on Developer OS... But is there any ETA as to how to fix this "To Complete Parallels desktop Setup, please restart your Mac" as I bought the software hoping that the full version would fix this issue but I am stumped as I am feeling like I may need to re-install Catalina on my Mac.

16. KeithBajura

KeithBajura Bit poster

Same issue here. I have been asked to reboot over and over again.

17. Leiths

Leiths Bit poster

This question is regarding the current version of parallels 16. I purchase the upgrade thinking that I could run the public beta for testing in the VM environment for parallels which I do successfully with many other versions of Mac and windows OS in this case for some odd reason when I go to select the hard drive which has more than enough space it says there's not enough. So I went into settings after after shutting down and change the hard drive size to 100 GB thinking that would fix the problem generally does. But when I go to add the Big Sur beta by giving it more hard drive space I still get the same error saying there's not enough hard drive space even though I changed it to 100 GB in the Mac information window it shows 38 GB matter what I do the size does not change so I'm unable to install the public beta of Big Sur from Catalina. Here are some screenshots I would like to have an answer soon thank you Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 4.38.45 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 4.36.00 PM.png No

18. CoreyB1

CoreyB1 Bit poster

GUYS THIS FIXED MY ISSUE WITH THE REBOOT ISSUES!!!!!

https://forum.parallels.com/threads/macos-big-sur-and-parallels-desktop.350219/page-21

Thanks for your information. Just resolved my problem
    For anyone suffering from "To complete Parallels Desktop setup, please restart your Mac." and if you have install VirtualBox, here is how I resolved the problem:
    1. download VirtualBox package from : OS X hosts
    2. run VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool from the down right corner
    3. start PD16, and good to go, no reboot required
    PS: don't delete VirutalBox app from Finder, that won't work

RafaeloG, ParallelsU459, BeeM and 2 others like this.
  19. LeeR6

LeeR6 Member

I am still getting the reboot after following the instructions.

Question: Do you have to have VirtualBox installed?

20. CoreyB1

CoreyB1 Bit poster

Did you have Virtualbox installed at anytime?
    I had it installed then removed it to find that I had to run the Tool as I had FUSE installed.
    Once I ran the tool I was up and runnning.

Here is a screengrab of Windows running on BigSur[​IMG]