Parallels Desktop 16 still won't start on macOS Big Sur Public Beta 4

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KrzysztofO, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Guys, once the issue reoccurs please collect the tech report and post the report's ID here.
    Thanks in advance.

2. TimS24

TimS24 Bit poster

Same issue with restart loop - Tech Report ID 347059205

Thanks

3. Thank you.
    Please execute the following command in Terminal, restart Mac and start Parallels Desktop

sudo kextcache --clear-staging

Please share with us any results.

LeeR6 likes this.
  4. KrzysztofO

KrzysztofO Junior Member

Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil clear-staging
    clearing all staged extensions...

5. KrzysztofO

KrzysztofO Junior Member

Nope, this doesn't work for me. Still asks for a restart.

6. LeeR6

LeeR6 Member

Okay - the Virtual Box Uninstall is ONLY IF YOU HAD VIRTUAL BOX INSTALLED IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!! Evidently there is a compatibility issue. If you don't have Virtual Box, then this trick doesn't work.

I tried the following from Parallels advice above, rebooted and I still get the same pop-up to reboot in order to install Parallels 16. FAIL! Looking for a solution. Several people are having this issue.
    sudo kextcache --clear-staging

7. MarcoC20

MarcoC20 Bit poster

Executing: sudo kextcache --clear-staging
    Same issue with restart loop
    id: 347079698

8. LeeR6

LeeR6 Member

We tried this, but it doesn't work. I get the reboot pop-up over and over.

9. cybermice

cybermice Junior Member

Same issue.. after restarting.. the first action was to launch Parallels Desktop 16.. I got prompted to restart and after restarting and launching Parallels, I got the same RESTART message

KrzysztofO likes this.
  10. TimS24

TimS24 Bit poster

Removed VirtualBox as per the instructions in post #26
    *Additional Step* - Goto System Preferences>Security & Privacy>General and click on the padlock and then click on the Allow... button. This is not the usual allow an unsigned developer, but an option to allow unknown/unsigned kexts (from what I could see. I was in a hurry to get something from a VM so clicked though quickly without documenting it properly). This step required a reboot.

After the restart, P16 is working as usual.

11. cybermice

cybermice Junior Member

Remove VirtualBox with the Uninstall Tool
    Terminal: sudo kextcache --clear-staging
    System Preferences... > Security & Privacy > General > Unlock to allow Unknown/Unsigned

After restarting, Parallels 6 actuall worked!
    Question: Can VirtualBox be installed again?

12. KrzysztofO

KrzysztofO Junior Member

Have you seen my post? I tried that and it didn't work.

13. LeeR6

LeeR6 Member

I attempted the virtual box tactic again, but still nothing. I am unable to run Parallels 16 on Big Sur Beta 4

14. Hi, could you collect the tech report data when the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here.

LeeR6 likes this.
  15. ParallelsU459

ParallelsU459 Bit poster

This worked a treat for me. PD16 started straight away after running the uninstall script.

16. cybermice

cybermice Junior Member

Can VirtualBox be reinstalled after getting Parallels to work with Big Sur beta?

17. LeeR6

LeeR6 Member

The crash report id is as follows: Crash Report ID: 347639694

I installed Beta 5 to see if I would have better luck, but no. I used the uninstall Virtual Box trick, and that didn't help. I rebooted numerous times and ensure that Parallels has full disk access. I checked security to see if Parallels was being blocked.

Please look at the crash report and provide a resolution. There are still people on here that are still having issues with installing Parallels. The App Store also needs to be updated. The Parallels in the App Store is older than 6 months.

I know you guys have had your hands full, but can this get resolved for us? Thanks!

18. SecurityNinja

SecurityNinja Bit poster

I have installed Big Sur Beta 5 and PD 16 and tried to clear all staging extensions but still wants to reboot over and over again

19. CHrisTheBiPolarBear

CHrisTheBiPolarBear Junior Member

Parelles 16 seems to be note working again after the release of Big Sur Beta 5 worked ok in Beta 4 in 5 it crashes computer and robots tried on 2 dfirrent computers

20. NorbertS5

NorbertS5 Bit poster

same here, not usable, Mac crashes the hard way

Parallels User likes this.