Suddenly, Guest Windows10 VM (Bootcamp install of Win10) can't start!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Bertrand, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Bertrand

Bertrand Member

Hi,

I just got this serious issue a couple of hours ago.
    I was starting a Win10 VM with Parallels 15.1.4 and I got this error:
    [​IMG]
    I tried to reset the VM, but the issue remains.
    I upgraded to Parallels Desktop 16: the issue remains.
    [​IMG]
    I tried to boot directly to BOOTCAMP: it works perfectly.
    What should I do? I would like to create a new VM, but I can't find the way anymore...

2. Bertrand

Bertrand Member

I get this screen:
    Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 13.27.07.602.png Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 13.29.02.326.png

Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 14.07.22.476.png

3. Bertrand

Bertrand Member

I also get this message just after the first one:
    Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 14.43.32.709.png

4. Bertrand

Bertrand Member

I also would like to set up Parallels Desktop so that it doesn't launch the VM automatically, but I can't find this kind of setup anymore.

5. Hello, please check this KB article in order to change the auto-start option.
    Also could you please share with us a screenshot of creation window (where you haven't find a Bootcamp based VM creation option).

6. Bertrand

Bertrand Member

Thanks to the Parallels Support team, I could solve all issues.
    Windows10 was corrupted, I needed to boot directly on Boot Camp then run a chkdsk /f /r.
    I also noticed that I get this issue after each time I try a full SSD backup using my backup app (Acronis True Image 2021) I will investigate this with the Acronis Team.

I also could solve the other issue I had (couldn't set up Parallels so that Boot Camp VM won't launch automatically at PD startup) by totally uninstall PD, delete the VM file, re-install PD then create a new VM.

7. Bertrand

Bertrand Member

In fact, the issue reappeared a few days later and I needed to delete the Boot Camp volume then recreate it and reinstall Windows to fix the issue definitively.