Debian Buster based - Raspbian (Raspberry Pi Desktop for PC and Mac) - with poll

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by AndrewB29, Nov 9, 2019.

?

Should Buster be supported in the current version (v15) of Parallels - 9 day poll (two Sundays)

Poll closed Nov 18, 2019.
  1. Yes in its native ISO 'Stable' image only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes in its native ISO 'Stable' image and support the Raspbian Desktop version as well

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes in its native ISO 'Stable' image + official 'blends' only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes in its native ISO 'Stable' image + blends + Raspbian Desktop version as well

100.0%
  5. No stick with the current Stretch support only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No drop Debian support

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. No drop Linux support from all version of Parallels

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. No just drop Linux support from the home version of Parallels

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AndrewB29

AndrewB29 Bit poster

I've been trying to get the Parallel Tools installed on Debian Buster released by the Raspberry Pi foundation but constantly failing with file or object not found.

The Stretch version of the install worked first time so I am not sure if its a Buster or Desktop vs Tools issue :confused:

All missing object are present on the ISO and have rights for execute and read for root or local user - ownership is root:root
    Shell is the Raspbian Bash shell
    Tried using sudo
    Set password for root and tried su
    I've tried copying the files locally (both under PI home, root home and /tmp)
    Tried running the x86_64 installed directly.
    Tried mounting the actual iso file from the Mac container rather than the ISO mounted by the prompt to install the tools

All of the above (and combinations) failed with one or more object not found errors using sudo, su or sh to start the jobs
    Running the initial script under su did start but failed to run the x86_64 installer
    Running the script as user Pi did report I was not root

Until the latest version of Raspbian (https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspberry-pi-desktop/ 2019-09-30) and Parallels (15.1.1 47117) I was not even able to get to a boot screen so compatibility is getting better:). Limited testing (i.e. 10 mins playing around) showed up some ACPI errors in the dmesg output but that was all.

Note the Arm version of Debian has been an odd 64/32bit mix between the kernel and userland but I am not sure how this applies to the x86 builds (and cannot find a release not for this build).

It would be great to have proper support for Raspbian as it is used in the education and home maker spaces a great deal and this version allows some development on a PC so core HATs and Foundation specific software.

If Im well enough next week I'll try a clean Debian build with the Pi desktop and other software to see if that has more success
    Please note - I do not use the Pi Forums due to poor and inconsistent moderation so cannot post on there (and not this is really a Parallels tools / Buster issue)

FloydM1 likes this.
  2. tvBilly

tvBilly Bit poster

I can't get the tools installed either. As root, with exec enabled in a remount. Same problem. I can install via the install-cli.sh file in the installer folder, but then I can never get back to the gui (even with raspi-config tool).

3. Alexander Haltman

Alexander Haltman Parallels Developers

Problem with Parallels Tools installation due to RPD use 64bit kernel and 32bit userspace.
    Some workaround:
    1. Install RPD, connect Parallels Tools installation CD to guest and open terminal
    cd /media/cdrom0
    sudo su​
    2. Install Parallels Tools manually in command line:
    uname() { [ $1 == "-m" ] && echo x86 || /bin/uname $@ ; }
    export -f uname
    ./install -i​
    3. Edit /etc/default/grub - add "prl_vid.usedrm=0" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and then:
    update-grub
    reboot​

SamuelH2 and FloydM1 like this.
  4. RainerS1

RainerS1 Member

Wow! This tip by @Alexander Haltman works! But I need to add: it is still necessary in Parallels 16.0.0 - which is a shame! Thanks anyways...
    Best
    .p.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  5. TimothyR6

TimothyR6 Bit poster

An added step, after connecting Parallel Tools, I had to remount the tools partition with exec in order to be able to run "./install -i". In a term window:
    umount /media/cdrom0
    mount -o exec /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom0

6. FerdinandR

FerdinandR Bit poster

Newbie here. How do I "install RPD, connect ParallelTools installation CD to guest"

7. ChrisD1

ChrisD1 Bit poster

Just confirming the instructions that Alexander and @TimothyR6 posted are spot on. Thanks guys for the information here.

8. RainerS1

RainerS1 Member

16.01 parallels tools update breaks it again. Just repeating above instructions does not fix it...

9. RainerS1

RainerS1 Member

Another note: Parallels Tools update automatically after the host update, and seem to leave the VM in an unrecoverable state. When I tried to uninstall Parallels Tools manually, I got the message "Architecture x86 is not supported".

10. RainerS1

RainerS1 Member

Okay, that's only the case if "export -f uname" is still update. After a reboot you can uninstall via the install-script. After an uninstall and fresh install it works. So for me the steps were: uninstall Parallels Tools after the auto-update, and then install "from fresh" following Alexander Haltman's and TimothyR6s instructions above.

11. FrancisB1

FrancisB1 Bit poster

Hi, I am using Parallels version 16.1.2 and above instructions do not work. Is it possible to get complete updated detailed instructions? (in the right order). I am using the official download from raspberrypi.org (2020-12-11-raspios-buster-i386.iso). Thank you for your help :)

12. KerryS1

KerryS1 Junior Member

This works for me for the most part, but clipboard sharing still won't work, which is an annoying limitation. Has anyone figured out how to making clipboard sharing work too?

13. KerryS1

KerryS1 Junior Member

Never mind on my last post... clipboard is working now, on something like my third time installing Parallels Tools. I don't know what's different this time. I've been reverting to snapshots of fresh Raspbian installations to test my own installer, tried PT again on this last reversion, and now I can share my clipboard. Weird.