Windows ARM64 - seems to boot up

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by DanO3, Dec 17, 2020.

1. KevinB21

KevinB21 Bit poster

I should've checked the forums before deleting my Windows VM. I had the same experience but thought it was because I had installed Windows updates. The issue is definitely just that it isn't updating the display. If you launched something but don't see it on screen, you can resize the screen a bit and it will refresh and show your app. I found the "reinstall parallels tools trick" too but the fact that it fails after reboot didn't seem super helpful, but I guess it's fine to experiment with for now.

2. DanO3

DanO3 Bit poster

Rebooted because of the Windows updates so yes some rebooting may do some magic.

3. DanO3

DanO3 Bit poster

Yes but I just joined today. Just a form to complete.

4. JPhi

JPhi Bit poster

If you resize the window (just a millimetre is enough), it forces a screen refresh. At least you see what happened if you were in the middle of upgrades you want to complete before you turn the VM off.

5. Ricoculous

Ricoculous Junior Member

Is your Microsoft Store working? Mine crashes.

6. JPhi

JPhi Bit poster

Crash on start. Interesting, as I did remember seeing it work on QEMU.

7. ShaunC5

ShaunC5 Bit poster

For me QEMU was very functional but obviously the resolution was very poor, however now this is good resolution and doesn't crash (for me) but not many things work.

8. david1610

david1610 Junior Member

I have also got it to work by updating to Dev build 21277 . This version allows for x64 emulation. I was able to download and run the Windows software I use for translation (memoQ Translator Pro) which seems to work OK. Will test more. I also used that Advanced Feature "Ignore error messages and carry on" ;)

PetarZ1 likes this.
  9. applefanboy27

applefanboy27 Bit poster

So I have downloaded the Windows 10 ARM .VHDX file from the Windows Insider link and when I try and install it I am getting "Failed to convert the virtual machine." error. Anyone know how to fix this?

10. PeterS68

PeterS68 Junior Member

The reinstall parallels tools thing works great, things seem back to running again.

11. PeterS68

PeterS68 Junior Member

Check that actually, no MS apps seem to work at all, everything just bails after loading. Oh well, Ubuntu is working

12. RonaldM7

RonaldM7 Bit poster

Same here, the first time it opened Edge, but then it crashed, restarted, nothing worked. I didn't try to reinstall.

13. PeterS68

PeterS68 Junior Member

Ya ok I did the same

14. ShaunC5

ShaunC5 Bit poster

Does anyone have a functional apps like microsoft store?

15. applefanboy27

applefanboy27 Bit poster

managed to install it now after reinstalling Parallels, now the mouse and keyboard doesn't work when running the windows vm

16. Ricoculous

Ricoculous Junior Member

How did you do that?

17. Ricoculous

Ricoculous Junior Member

Never mind, was able to get it working.

18. AndreH8

AndreH8 Bit poster

Hello,
    You can just disable the "parallels tools service" in windows services, that'll stop certain things from working (auto resize resolution on window size change, etc...) but it stops you from having to run parallels tools each time you reboot.

19. ZoeQ

ZoeQ Bit poster

I finally got Trados running as well!!

20. ZoeQ

ZoeQ Bit poster

But it has stopped working for me after shutting windows down and then trying to re-start it. It's simply not responsive and re-installing parallels tools (and postponing it) doesn't help at all. Also impossible to shut it down and close it. Had to force quit parallels.