Allow bulk deletion of snapshots

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by StefanoD1, May 11, 2017.

1. StefanoD1

StefanoD1 Bit poster

Hi,
    i think that could be a great feature the capability of delete all snapshots before a certain snapshot.
    It could be the "complementary" feature of deleting snapshot and all following snapshots.
    Thanks in advance

JayM12, AHunter3, MatthewR20 and 18 others like this.
  2. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Yes, it would be great. If there is an option "Delete previous snapshots and create New" similar to "Take Snapshot" in Parallels Desktop.

MohammadR5 likes this.
  3. KorkyPlunger

KorkyPlunger Hunter

I often build up a series of many snapshots over time, to the point where I have 500-700GB of data to erase. Currently I have to select a snapshot one at a time, delete it, and then wait (often 1 minute or more) until it finishes before I can delete the next.

It would save me a lot of time if I could just multiple-select the snapshots I wanted to erase, and then Parallels would automate the deletion of them in order.

4. MaxI

MaxI Bit poster

I completely agree with this. Currently it takes me around 7 minutes to delete a single snapshot. I have a bunch of them.

5. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello All,
    You can try to merge all snapshots as one by following the steps provided below and then delete the snapshot

1.In Mac OS X, go to Applications > Utilities and launch Terminal.
    Paste the command below into Terminal as is (do not hit Enter yet):

prl_disk_tool merge --hdd

Find your virtual machine in Finder. Right click on the .pvm file of your virtual machine and choose Show Package Contents.

Drag your WindowsXXX.hdd file into Terminal and drop it inside the window. In Terminal you will see a similar outcome: prl_disk_tool merge --hdd /Users/Username/Documents/Parallels/Windows\ 7.pvm/Windows\ 7-0.hdd

Please note there should be a space between --hdd and /Users/Username... Press Enter key to start merging Snapshots. Once this is done, try to compress virtual hard disk again.
    2. Now if you go to Actions > Manage snapshot, you will find only one snapshot and you can delete it if you do not want it.
    We would strongly recommend you to take a back of virtual machine before you delete snapshots.
    Thanks

6. KorkyPlunger

KorkyPlunger Hunter

I think what people are asking for here is a way to do this interactively within the Manage Snapshots dialog.

7. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Good FR! Thank you guys!

8. WouterS1

WouterS1 Bit poster

I have auto-snapshotting enabled and that creates a lot of snapshots in a short time. Now I have over 40 snapshots.

Deleting them all is hell, takes long, and just not productive.

Allow us to:
    - Delete all snapshots except the last
    - Select multiple snapshots and delete those
    - Select 1 snapshot and delete that + all older

Snapshots take up a lot of space, so much of my time goes to waste on this cumbersome interface (which hasn;t changed really in the last few years!!)

Helder Prata Simoes likes this.
  9. DaveP3

DaveP3 Bit poster

I totally agree. How hard could it be to allow users to select a set of snapshots to delete???

Helder Prata Simoes likes this.
  10. alev

alev Parallels Team

For bulk delete please use the context menu item: Delete Snapshot and Its Subsequent Snapshots.

We understand that in some cases it is not the optimal solution. So this feature request remains here for such cases.

Attached Files:

11. KorkyPlunger

KorkyPlunger Hunter

@alev I believe you misunderstood the request. This is a request for deleting a snapshot and all previous snapshots. The current functionality only allows deleting a snapshot and its subsequent snapshots.

jhfenton likes this.
  12. dagebr

dagebr Bit poster

As already indicated enabling batch processing of selective 'pruning' of the snapshot tree would be considerably more efficient for users who routinely accumulate many manual or automated snapshots. Key snapshots before and after major software updates or events can be kept whilst older less relevant (or less safe) backups can be pruned.

'Less safe' refers to the reduced reliability of snapshots captured when the VM is running or paused. These may not be 'bootable'. Snapshots taken after a full shut down are more likely to be reliable.

13. Helder Prata Simoes

Helder Prata Simoes Bit poster

Yes, this would be an excelent feature to be implemented (deleting a snapshot and all previous snapshots).
    I would propose something different (that would be more useful for me). Allowing multiple snapshots to be selected (on the snapshots panel) and then it just click "Delete Selected Snapshots". This will be time saving, since after some time I usually delete a bulk of snapshots that are in the middle of the snapshots array.

14. Pyrrho

Pyrrho Bit poster

I'll chip in here and say I also would greatly appreciate this feature. Even with a fast SSD it's still a chore when I have a lot of previous snapshots built up.

15. bweinman

bweinman Bit poster

+1 yes please this would save me vast amounts of time and work