Cannot connect to the network

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by qi yes, Dec 11, 2020.

1. qi yes

qi yes Bit poster

After updating macOS Big Sur, parallels destop also has updated to 16.1.1, and the virtual machine continues to run, but cannot connect to the network.What could I do something?

kitchenss and BeirneK like this.
  2. drews4

drews4 Bit poster

I have same issue. Windows and Linux connect fine on my macOS Catalina system. Neither connect on my macOS Big Sur machine. I see something missing in my Parallels Desktop Preferences / Network / Shared. It shows up on macOS Catalina. See attached images. macOS Big Sur.png macOS Catalina.png

3. BeirneK

BeirneK Bit poster

I have the same problem. I ran the troubleshooter in Windows 10 and it says: "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration"

4. BeirneK

BeirneK Bit poster

I restarted Parallels and then the network got connected.

5. BeirneK

BeirneK Bit poster

My now working network looks the same as your Big Sur one except the adapter type for me is Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT. I don't know if that's significant.

6. kitchenss

kitchenss Bit poster

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2020
  7. drews4

drews4 Bit poster

The issue is with Parallels Desktop software not Windows, Linux or any other VM operating system. Hopefully the good folks at Parallels will fix this.

8. VitaliB1

VitaliB1 Bit poster

the same issue.
    sometimes switching the network source helps

9. Hello, are you running the 16.1.1. version?

10. VitaliB1

VitaliB1 Bit poster

yes, last version

11. Megan2020

Megan2020 Bit poster

12. ErricoM

ErricoM Bit poster

Try
    sudo -b /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_client_app
    This worked for me

13. TheTack

TheTack Junior Member

It is unbelievable this is not fixed yet. Installed 16.1.2 today and now no internet access at all. My system was working well until this. That sudo command works until I reboot, and I do not want to setup stuff every time I issue that command. It has been months and this issue has plagued the users!!!

14. maia

maia Junior Member

I just upgraded to Parallels v16 (16.1.2 fresh install) today on fresh Big Sur (11.1) install and tried to open a long-used W10 VM. Same network initialization failure as everyone else here. Just really frustrating these days that every new version of apps seems to be plagued with bugs and/or regression in features.

15. Jonas Schwartz

Jonas Schwartz Bit poster

Guys. I have NO idea if i'm right but i'm now able to connect to the network so it may be. After reading this group chain, tried something that worked. I remembered when I installed the update this morning, that it made me make an update to the security & privacy settings on the mac. So I went back to the privacy settings and noticed that Parallels desktop did not have accessibility nor disk access checked. I checked both and now it's working. Please let me know if that worked for anyone else and more importantly if there's a valid reason for both to be unchecked and that I should immediately uncheck accessibility and/or Disk access.

16. BrianH18

BrianH18 Bit poster

Thank you. I too just updated and was not having problems until this morning. I did not receive any notice that there were changes in the privacy settings. My Accessibility was checked but the Disk Access was not. As soon as I made that change my VM connected. Thank you!

17. Jonas Schwartz

Jonas Schwartz Bit poster

It was pure luck that I thought of it and tried. So glad I did and so glad that it worked for you as well.

18. AlexP23

AlexP23 Bit poster

Every time I start up windows 10, it says it not connected, but I've found going to Devices>Network>Shared Network (it should already be checked) and reselecting it instantly fixes the issue.

19. BrianH18

BrianH18 Bit poster

I spoke too soon. My iMAC rebooted overnight and now it won't connect again and both boxes are checked. Back to square one...

20. BrianH18

BrianH18 Bit poster

Interesting, I don't have a Network Option under Devices.