High cpu usage due to bsdtar process

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by CarlB7, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Hello,
    Thanks a lot for sharing this feedback with us.
    Please ping us here if the issue reoccurs again.

2. JoeA5

JoeA5 Bit poster

The issue is occurring for me still

3. Could you collect the tech report once it reoccurs and share it here?

4. JoeA5

JoeA5 Bit poster

How do I get the tech report? I can send a screenshot of all the bsdtars maybe?

5. Please sorry my bad, and use this link in order to create tech report.

6. PatrickM24

PatrickM24 Bit poster

Same issue here.
    After booting my machine today I noticed its fans kept spinning. Sure enough: a lot of bsdtar processes were running, and running, and running.
    I have not even used Parrallels after booting my machine.
    The toolbox extension was loaded in the Mac OS extension bar, but it claimed to be 'not active'.
    After quitting the toolbox, more bsdtar processes were started! (1 for every processor core?)
    Finally I had to use Activity Monitor to terminate all these processes and get on with my day.

Attached Files:

7. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Let us know the Parallels Toolbox and macOS version you are using to check and assist.

8. PatrickM24

PatrickM24 Bit poster

I'm using Parallels Toolbox Version 2.0.4 (1219). I states that this is the latest version
    I'm Parallels 16.1.1 (49141) on macOS 10.15.7 (19H15)
    This was actually not the first time I ran into this problem. I've seen it at least once before since I updated to macOS 10.15 / Parallels 16 about a month ago.

9. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

The latest version of Parallels Toolbox for Mac is 4.1.0. It seems you are using the older version which you have received with the Parallels Desktop 12 on the latest macOS X that is causing the issue. With the Parallels Desktop 16, you have got a three-month Parallels Toolbox subscription which is good till January 2021 use it to activate the latest version.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  10. JohnA32

JohnA32 Bit poster

I have a subscription to Parallels and have the latest version 16 installed. I had the parallel tools installed and have had to force quit multiple bsdtar processes that are running on multiple occasion. Annoyed me enough today to start searching - surprised this problem has been ongoing for over a year with no clear solution.

I was using the tools version 2.0.4 but uninstalled it to load the Mac version referenced above - apparently my subscription doesn't cover those tools?? It downloads and loads and then says the tools are not supported by my key...

I am running Windows 8 and MacOS 10.15.7 (Catalina)

Do I really need additional licenses to run the a version of Mac Tools that works? Assuming it works and eliminates the problem with random bsdtar processes consuming the processor.

Thanks,
    John.

11. Hello, do you have Parallels Desktop 16 subscription?

12. JohnA32

JohnA32 Bit poster

My account summary indicates I have -Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro Edition good through June 2021. It indicates I have a tools license as well. I was under the impression this provided me with the latest and greatest of both Parallels and the Toolbox...

13. MarcosA3

MarcosA3 Bit poster

I have the same problem. I sent a technical report to parallels.

14. Hello, what is your Parallels Toolbox version?
    Also unfortunately without report's ID we won't be able to find your tech report...
    If you decide to investigate and resolve the issue please reproduce the issue, collect the tech report once again an share the report's ID here.

15. AdamE3

AdamE3 Bit poster

I've just send a problem report, ID: 362532463 - thank you for reaching out to my e-mail!

16. Hi, what is your Parallels Toolbox version?

17. AdamE3

AdamE3 Bit poster

I can't respond to that right now since my Mac is in the repair shop with it's keyboard (thanks Apple...) but Maria@Parallels, are you sure it's not visible in the problem report?

18. You've provided us with the Parallels Desktop tech.report. But we also need your Toolbox version.
    Could you provide us with it once possible please?

19. GregY

GregY Bit poster

I have Toolbox V 2.6.1 with Parallels 16.1.3 using Windows 10 on a 2019 Retina iMac running Big Sur 11.2.3 and after rebooting end up with 10 to 12 bsdtar processes running simultaneously I have to force quit. Any suggested solution ?

20. Thanks a lot for sharing this, the bsdtar process issue has been resolved at the 3.5 Toolbox version.
    Could you test the same behavior with the latest Parallels Toolbox version please?