Parallels 16 extremely slow on MBP

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PatrickP9, Oct 6, 2020.

1. JB6

JB6 Bit poster

The issues do not occur in VMware. I have had one of the worst support experiences in my life with Parallels support over this. Good luck out there!

2. MatthewH11

MatthewH11 Junior Member

Seconded, I've dropped my Parallels sub and moved to a perpetual licence of VMWare which works the way I'd hoped Parallels would.

3. Hello guys if you still have an issue could you collect the tech report once the issue reoccurs and reply us back with the report's ID please?

4. RobK7

RobK7 Bit poster

Hi, the report ID is 364392636

5. AdamE4

AdamE4 Bit poster

I'm having the same issues. Parallels is slow in full screen, and Coherence isn't usable because of the typing lag. This has been true ever since upgrading to P16 and really makes Parallels a badd option. I have last year's MacBook Pro with the stronger CPUs and 16 GB memory. Never had this probably with P15. Yes, Maria@Parallels, I'm running the latest version. Why no solution from Parallels? Why don't they at least admit it's a known issue but they are working on a solution so we don't dump the software and go to VM wear? Parallels: how do we fix this?!

RichardB8 likes this.
  6. RobK7

RobK7 Bit poster

The level of support from Parallels regarding this issue has been terrible. I have contacted the support team who replied asking for the version of my Parallels and my Mac. I gave them this a week ago and I am now being ignored. When will we hear an update on resolving this issue?

7. YoanaShih

YoanaShih Bit poster

After going through following workaround my Parallels VM performs much better:
    1. Copy Parallels .hds file -> Rename extension to .hdd -> Launch with VirtualBox
    2. Defragment and use SDelete to zero free space -> Close guest
    3. Clone as vdi disk -> Compact cloned disk
    4. Switch to Parallels Desktop -> Manual bar 'File->Open' and choose the cloned vdi -> Transform back to Parallels VM

8. Thanks a lot, we will check it and provide you with the results.

9. Hi, I cannot find a tech report from you, could you collect it please and post the report's ID here?

10. FredrikE2

FredrikE2 Bit poster

I have the same issue on my MBP 2019, i9, 32Gb RAM. When I make a new installation of windows it works fine for
    a couple of months, then it gets really slow on respons. I have tried almost all thinkable ways to tweak Parallels, but
    without any luck. Just like the others here describe, a mouse click can take several seconds to have a respons in windows.

11. FredrikE2

FredrikE2 Bit poster

I have created a technical report also with ID 365170139.

12. MatthewH11

MatthewH11 Junior Member

I've submitted report IDs 365179829 and 365179864 from different VMs both having major performance problems, I've moved away from this software to VMWare so don't worry about a response but I figured I'd submit in case it helps Parallels fix the problem. Bonus - I don't have to subscribe to VMWare to access all my available system resources - Parallels you might want to think about this because it was one of the major things I've disliked about your product for years and certainly played a role in my getting tired of your entire company to the point that and looking elsewhere and paying more rather than trying to get help to fix the problem was preferable to me. I don't want to be pushed into a subscription even if it's cheaper, especially when the product doesn't work well it's a great incentive to cancel and go elsewhere.

RichardB8 likes this.
  13. RichardB8

RichardB8 Bit poster

I am also having the same issue and will be cancelling my subscription. After using this product (both the good, bad and the ugly) for over a decade, I have had enough. Even forced me to go back to buying a PC.

The time i have wasted trying to reconfigure, reinstall.....just admit say that doesn't work on this 2019 Macbook Pro 13 with 16GB of RM and save us all the aggravtion

14. watagan

watagan Bit poster

Same here, have jumped ship and unlikely to be renewing. Months without a solution. I doubt they know how to resolve this.

RichardB8 likes this.
  15. JustinH12

JustinH12 Bit poster

I had been having issues with Windows 10 freezing for multiple seconds randomly on Big Sur with Parallels 16 that I didn't seem to have with Catalina and 15. I had been using the Apple Hypervisor for a while because it was noticeably faster for Visual Studio even with Catalina/15.

The hangs would seem to go away for a time and everything would be fast if a I rebooted both the vm and the Mac. There was nothing taking up any noticeable CPU time when it occurred. Finally a post on here mentioned switching to a basic disk from expanding, took a while to convert. I did that and so far it has resolved the pauses / hangs. My guess is some sort of large I/O latency with the disk when it needs to grow or shrink and its happening quite frequently even while just typing in visual studio, probably a swap file being used, the downside is you need to preallocate all the disk space you may need.

16. Migueld1

Migueld1 Bit poster

Experiencing the sluggishness in everything, typing, any UI rendering happens at a snails pace but also the sound stops working, all seems to happen when the Windows VM goes to sleep and awakes again. This is also not the first time I have upgraded a parallels version and had endless issues for months without solutions. Haven't found a fix yet, but considering VMware. I love the product when it works and is stable, but right now I need a solution!

17. Eric-ThierryM

Eric-ThierryM Bit poster

After trying all the suggested fixes for too many weeks without any success, I went back to v15. Now it works like a charm. My trust in Parallels has been seriously eroded after this experience.

18. FredrikE2

FredrikE2 Bit poster

I tested to import the VM into Vmware and then back to Parallells. Now it's fast again. But lets see for how long.

19. MatthewH11

MatthewH11 Junior Member

Performance has improved a lot in 16.5, let's see if it sustains that level of performance.

20. watagan

watagan Bit poster

16.5 is just as slow as the previous version for me. VMWare is working fine. I'll try importing the VM from VMWare back to Parallels, see how that goes.