Type clipboard text into guest without Parallels Tools

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by NoahO, Dec 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. NoahO

NoahO Bit poster

Hi,
    Often I find myself working with VMs that don't yet have integration tools installed, and I would like to copy and paste a snippet of text, eg, to install integration tools, enable SSH, etc.

It would be really nice if as part of the keyboard menu, instead of sending single keypresses, I could copy and paste a whole bunch of text to be typed into the VM. I think this would be really easy to implement, as the functionality for typing single keys is already there, and I know you can type whole sequences because that is how Packer works with parallels integration. (https://www.packer.io/)

For example, my favorite remote desktop app, Royal TSX has this feature.

See screenshots.
    Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 11.02.14 am.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 11.00.27 am.png Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 11.00.39 am.png

2. AaronS3

AaronS3 Bit poster

Yes please - should be under edit menu and read "Type Clipboard Contents as Keystrokes", please.

MatthewR20 likes this.
  3. MarioB4

MarioB4 Bit poster

Desperately need this feature as well!

MatthewR20 likes this.
  4. JosephK7

JosephK7 Bit poster

Yes!!! we need this. It solves the Windows login password issue too. I prefer to use much stronger passwords and paste them from a password manager, but windows won't take paste on the login screen for security reasons.

MatthewR20 likes this.
  5. alexreg

alexreg Bit poster

This would be great, and has been outstanding for some time. Any updates, Parallels folks??

MatthewR20 likes this.
  6. IvanExpert

IvanExpert Bit poster

There's a feature in the VNC client I use, called JollysFastVNC, which I find absolutely invaluable, which is the ability to paste the clipboard of the host OS into the remote OS as keystrokes, rather than via transferring the host clipboard to the remote clipboard.

This would be equally invaluable in Parallels when it's not feasible to use Parallels Tools in the guest OS for integration, e.g. when in the console of a non-GUI Linux, or in a situation where there is a need to keep the guest OS as "clean" as possible for diagnostic purposes.

Thanks for your consideration.

7. CrosbyL

CrosbyL Bit poster

UPVOTE! This is a must for Login Screens with super-long pasphrases as well!!

MatthewR20 likes this.
  8. TylerH2

TylerH2 Bit poster

Yes! Please add this feature!

cesarl2 likes this.
  9. BallO

BallO Hunter

+1 for me also considering Parallels Tools is closed source and full of bugs and will never work on some distros like gentoo

MatthewR20 likes this.