[Licensing] Use one license on several personal computers

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by RyanM8, May 31, 2017.

?

Easy to use facility to switch license between computer systems

1. Yes, great. need one

162 vote(s)
    94.2%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. MaximB4

MaximB4 Bit poster

Definitely agree with everyone supporting license switching here. It is a major problem that prevents me from buying Parallels. Licenses should be per-person, not per-device. I also hate CPU restrictions like many mentioned here, but I can live with them.

2. KTdid.

KTdid. Bit poster

My personal plea:

I am currently using the trial version of Parallels strictly so I can use PAC3, a PDF/UA accessibility checker. I like Parallels and would like to subscribe.

However, as you know just about all apps are subscription-based these days and even when you have the option to make a one-time purchase, it's best if you can subscribe so that securities and app functionality updates are always optimal.

I am a Freelance UI/UX, Accessibility, and Print Designer--I wear many hats and they all require different tools. I don't know how many more subscriptions I need to do my job I can afford. Microsoft, Adobe, Zoom, Clean My Mac, Dropbox, and on and on. It adds up.

So when Parallels requires a single user to purchase multiple licenses to use on their different work devices (for me: desktop and laptop) that's rough on a sole-proprietor. We have to buy Windows on top of that to use it. And, there are free apps available...

And, if I may, as a person who suffers from auto-immune disorders/chronic pain, being able to switch between devices so my body can be in different positions to lessen pain is really beneficial.

3. DavidRoss

DavidRoss Bit poster

I agree with the above comments. Ideally the licensing should be user dependent and not system dependent.
    Regards, David

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2021
  4. jakobward

jakobward Bit poster

Yep. Came to Parallels.com to upgrade my V8 license just now only to find one computer per license?! Umm... One license per person, two computers. Definitely not upgrading. And I will NEVER use the subscription service. C'mon Parallels, you're better than this.

5. GrigoriG

GrigoriG Bit poster

I'd like to add my voice to this request. Please reconsider letting the home users run Parallels on two Macs (not simultaneously).

MikeG11 and jakobward like this.
  6. MickS1

MickS1 Bit poster

I agree, sadly I have not renewed my Parallels licence just because of this issue. Fair use would be to allow two computers per licence.

MikeG11 and jakobward like this.
  7. Sysmet

Sysmet Junior Member

Just figured out that I can't use it on my laptop. Seriously?

8. EikoB

EikoB Bit poster

This really is so sad. It's an extremely greedy behavior, not even Adobe and Microsoft do this any more.

As we say here: vote with your feet.

I guess my long-term subscription to Parallels should finally be replaced with VMWare.

MikeG11 likes this.
  9. EmmanuelE

EmmanuelE Bit poster

I think it should be possible.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2021
  10. GregL9

GregL9 Bit poster

I'd like to add my vote for at least a 2 computer limit with the Parallels Pro account. I am also a software dev that frequently needs to use Parallels on my work computer and also my personal computer.

11. SkylerT

SkylerT Bit poster

Got an M1 Macbook Air for working on the go and have had an M1 Mini at home. Was really excited about being able to use my ubuntu server vm on my laptop like I do on my mini and then realized that the license I bought with my Mini will NOT work on my laptop as well. Seriously? I have cancelled my subscription and will not be renewing until this is sorted out. I pay for many subscriptions and literally 0 restrict me to having to buy multiple licenses for all my computers (especially just two!)

MikeG11 likes this.
  12. KenZ1

KenZ1 Bit poster

Just bought M1 Mac Mini. In the web tab next to this one, I have a purchase for $59.99 ready to go with completed CC info and just a click away... then I came to read about he licensing. Only available on one computer at a time and must manually swap the license on the web site or whatever... c'mon Parallels. Get real with this. I just closed that browser tab and cancelled the deal. Such a big mistake for an otherwise fine product. Heading over to take a look at VMWare now. It's been years since I used them, but their licensing looks more appropriate to my needs vs this. I'm a Professional IT user who just likes to install and tinker with older OS's for fun and testing networking in mixed OS environments. My big issue is the limitations currently using the M1 vs an intel Mac Mini with guest OS's. As it stands, I'd have to buy 2 licenses, one for the M1 and one for my intel mini to fulfill my requirements with testing. No thanks.

MikeG11 likes this.
  13. SiruisB

SiruisB Bit poster

I have a MacBook Air and a Mac mini, I bought the Parallels Desktop Pro Edition. Found out over a month that I can't use it on multiple machines.
    Support chat cleared out that only Business Edition is allowed being using on up to 3 machines. Asked for a license switch (because they cost the same) -- isn't possible, refund isn't possible because >30 days after purchase, finally I have to purchase a second license.

For me several facts are coming together:
    - Unclear license descriptions
    - force to purchase a second license or business edition license - anyway 100 euro.
    - a very early stage buggy product
    - never had such issues with VMware Fusion - over 10 years customer.

It was my first and last purchase with Parallels. I guess if someone can't do the job right, we as customers just have NOT TO BUY.

MikeG11 likes this.
  14. Scott66

Scott66 Bit poster

I'm not super happy about the annual fee part but I can live with that because I tend to update regularly anyway. I CANNOT live with one license per computer. At least a desktop and a laptop. I have not renewed since they made this change years back. Bought VM Fusion 10, 11 and now 12. They should definitely change this.

MikeG11 likes this.
  15. JoelE3

JoelE3 Bit poster

Thanks for Sharing this information

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2021
  16. CupawnTae

CupawnTae Bit poster

I posted this in general questions, and was asked to add it here, so here you go...

17. MikeG11

MikeG11 Member

From this representative sampling, it looks like charging customers an additional license fee for every device they personally use Parallels on may not be the smart revenue-generating decision management seems to believe it is. It's possible there are more people cancelling/refusing to pay for Parallels or switching to other products than customers willing to pay the already expensive fee multiple times (even with the small multi-device discount). Much larger companies like Microsoft are smart enough to realize a measured amount of generosity/value can massively increase the customer base--thus generating far more revenue than you can get from fleecing a relatively tiny customer base.

18. SchroedersKater

SchroedersKater Member

Hi Mike,
    I agree. Nice article, but a waste of time. They just don't care...

19. GregS20

GregS20 Bit poster

Put me down as 1 more dissatisfied customer! I was misled to believe that I could install and run Parallels on up to 5 computers. As a college student, I need access to Windows on both my desktop and laptop computers -- unless the Parallels staff would like to transport my desktop to and from classrooms for me?

20. RikkiV

RikkiV Bit poster

I agree with the sentiments with most people here. Usually most power user like me has a minimum of 2 devices and usually switches between them. At least allow using the license for the same registered user to a minimum 2 different computers, i think this will be good enough for most users (especially for pro users).