[Licensing] Use one license on several personal computers

Easy to use facility to switch license between computer systems

  • Yes, great. need one

    Votes: 176 95.1%
  • No

    Votes: 9 4.9%

  • Total voters
    185
My personal plea:

I am currently using the trial version of Parallels strictly so I can use PAC3, a PDF/UA accessibility checker. I like Parallels and would like to subscribe.

However, as you know just about all apps are subscription-based these days and even when you have the option to make a one-time purchase, it's best if you can subscribe so that securities and app functionality updates are always optimal.

I am a Freelance UI/UX, Accessibility, and Print Designer--I wear many hats and they all require different tools. I don't know how many more subscriptions I need to do my job I can afford. Microsoft, Adobe, Zoom, Clean My Mac, Dropbox, and on and on. It adds up.

So when Parallels requires a single user to purchase multiple licenses to use on their different work devices (for me: desktop and laptop) that's rough on a sole-proprietor. We have to buy Windows on top of that to use it. And, there are free apps available...

And, if I may, as a person who suffers from auto-immune disorders/chronic pain, being able to switch between devices so my body can be in different positions to lessen pain is really beneficial.
 
I agree with the above comments. Ideally the licensing should be user dependent and not system dependent.
Regards, David
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Came to Parallels.com to upgrade my V8 license just now only to find one computer per license?! Umm... One license per person, two computers. Definitely not upgrading. And I will NEVER use the subscription service. C'mon Parallels, you're better than this.
 
This really is so sad. It's an extremely greedy behavior, not even Adobe and Microsoft do this any more.

As we say here: vote with your feet.

I guess my long-term subscription to Parallels should finally be replaced with VMWare.
 
I'd like to add my vote for at least a 2 computer limit with the Parallels Pro account. I am also a software dev that frequently needs to use Parallels on my work computer and also my personal computer.
 
Got an M1 Macbook Air for working on the go and have had an M1 Mini at home. Was really excited about being able to use my ubuntu server vm on my laptop like I do on my mini and then realized that the license I bought with my Mini will NOT work on my laptop as well. Seriously? I have cancelled my subscription and will not be renewing until this is sorted out. I pay for many subscriptions and literally 0 restrict me to having to buy multiple licenses for all my computers (especially just two!)
 
Just bought M1 Mac Mini. In the web tab next to this one, I have a purchase for $59.99 ready to go with completed CC info and just a click away... then I came to read about he licensing. Only available on one computer at a time and must manually swap the license on the web site or whatever... c'mon Parallels. Get real with this. I just closed that browser tab and cancelled the deal. Such a big mistake for an otherwise fine product. Heading over to take a look at VMWare now. It's been years since I used them, but their licensing looks more appropriate to my needs vs this. I'm a Professional IT user who just likes to install and tinker with older OS's for fun and testing networking in mixed OS environments. My big issue is the limitations currently using the M1 vs an intel Mac Mini with guest OS's. As it stands, I'd have to buy 2 licenses, one for the M1 and one for my intel mini to fulfill my requirements with testing. No thanks.
 
I have a MacBook Air and a Mac mini, I bought the Parallels Desktop Pro Edition. Found out over a month that I can't use it on multiple machines.
Support chat cleared out that only Business Edition is allowed being using on up to 3 machines. Asked for a license switch (because they cost the same) -- isn't possible, refund isn't possible because >30 days after purchase, finally I have to purchase a second license.

For me several facts are coming together:
- Unclear license descriptions
- force to purchase a second license or business edition license - anyway 100 euro.
- a very early stage buggy product
- never had such issues with VMware Fusion - over 10 years customer.

It was my first and last purchase with Parallels. I guess if someone can't do the job right, we as customers just have NOT TO BUY.
 
I'm not super happy about the annual fee part but I can live with that because I tend to update regularly anyway. I CANNOT live with one license per computer. At least a desktop and a laptop. I have not renewed since they made this change years back. Bought VM Fusion 10, 11 and now 12. They should definitely change this.
 
I have an annual subscription. It would be awesome if we could be licensed for two computers. I use a laptop and my desktop for business, and it's a real pain to have to keep unlicensing one system, log into the website to grab the license and register the other computer every time I use it - rinse and repeat. Please consider adding dual licensing -- even Adobe does this, and Microsoft gives you 5. It seems pretty standard practice these days where two computers is pretty common.
Thanks for Sharing this information
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I posted this in general questions, and was asked to add it here, so here you go...

Another year, another temptation to upgrade Parallels Desktop, and another decision not to because I can't use it on multiple macs. I only use one mac at a time, and *every* other piece of software I've bought for Mac allows me to use it on multiple machines.
You'd have got far more money out of me at this stage if you didn't insist on sticking to this indefensible licensing model.

Oh and the amount of spam you generate trying to get me to upgrade is incredible.

Shame, because your software is pretty great.

Regards,

Paul.
 
From this representative sampling, it looks like charging customers an additional license fee for every device they personally use Parallels on may not be the smart revenue-generating decision management seems to believe it is. It's possible there are more people cancelling/refusing to pay for Parallels or switching to other products than customers willing to pay the already expensive fee multiple times (even with the small multi-device discount). Much larger companies like Microsoft are smart enough to realize a measured amount of generosity/value can massively increase the customer base--thus generating far more revenue than you can get from fleecing a relatively tiny customer base.
 
Put me down as 1 more dissatisfied customer! I was misled to believe that I could install and run Parallels on up to 5 computers. As a college student, I need access to Windows on both my desktop and laptop computers -- unless the Parallels staff would like to transport my desktop to and from classrooms for me?
 
I agree with the sentiments with most people here. Usually most power user like me has a minimum of 2 devices and usually switches between them. At least allow using the license for the same registered user to a minimum 2 different computers, i think this will be good enough for most users (especially for pro users).
 
I have been working from home. I find myself struggling to complete my work working on Macs. Now more than ever, it is important for users to be enabled to either pay fraction of the cost of an original or just enable them to access multiple computers. I understand the financial issues with granting users such an opportunity but at the same time, it is important for any company to listen to its users.
 
Back
Top