[Licensing] Use one license on several personal computers

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by RyanM8, May 31, 2017.

?

Easy to use facility to switch license between computer systems

1. Yes, great. need one

162 vote(s)
    94.2%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. VladimirN

VladimirN Bit poster

I am considering to jump off from PD after several years of use due to the fact that my workflow changed and involves now desktop and laptop. I can afford to pay for one license only as the intended use is on one machine at a time, but switching licence back and forth is very annoying and counter-productive.

Parallels User likes this.
  2. TonyC15

TonyC15 Bit poster

OMG. I just switched from VMware and find that a Parallels annual Subscription only allows me to install on one machine. I put it on my work laptop for now. Damn... Theres no way I'm paying for two licences, I only use on computer at a time. Sorry people, I need to return to VMware. I also note that Parallels don't seem to monitor this thread anymore. Bit arrogant there. I'm an ICT manager for a national company and know the value of talking to clients. Oh well back to Vmware... Hope they forgive me for testing the other side.

SimonA3 and Parallels User like this.
  3. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

Andreas76 likes this.
  4. azl

azl Bit poster

OMG - I was just buying Parallels 15 when I came here to double check whether I could install it both on my desktop and laptop, only to find out it IS NOT POSSIBLE!!! WTF?? Here you just lost a sale. I need to use it on both devices and I'm definitely not buying two licenses. Looking tinto VMWare now...

5. DANIP

DANIP Bit poster

It's really ridiculous to have such a costly software which could be used in one computer only. This is a greedy attitude from Parallels. It's better to go for some other virtual machine softwares such as VMWare. Good bye Parallels...

6. parsec

parsec Bit poster

Wow, I'm glad I read this thread, I have a computer for work and a computer at home, and they aren't used simultaneously. Procurement was about to buy me a license, but I'm going to have them to cancel, there are more reasonable options for my needs.

7. TimB15

TimB15 Bit poster

Same here, quite disappointed :(, I have an iMac at home and Laptop for the road. I understand you can't run it simultaneously, though I was expecting that I could use it on both machines, like many other applications.
    I have to sit this license out, using bootcamp for the time being on my iMac. I recommended my friends/family not to purchase Parallels but go for VMware Fusion instead, as will in the future. More value for money when you have two machines.

8. AdeR2

AdeR2 Bit poster

I recently bought Parallels again after a hiatus. I am shocked to discover that my license will not work on both my laptop and desktop machine and that I am expected to delicense and relicense (or pay double) every time I take my laptop on the road with me. I wish I had never bought this. Never again.

Andreas76 likes this.
  9. PawKor

PawKor Bit poster

MacPro at home and MacBook on the road, I wish I read this thread before buying Pro version subscription.
    There is no information about single computer license on product page nor on checkout page.
    Not fair Parallels, not fair.
    License should bind to account not computer, it's logical that we use it on multiple computers, in office or at the client's site.

10. WeldingT

WeldingT Bit poster

Its safe to use?

11. KristianS1

KristianS1 Member

Parallels need to get with the times. This is 1990s licensing policy. The reason most companies moved away from it, was because it was user hostile. However, Parallels went completely the opposite direction with permissive licensing to highly restrictive.

12. PawKor

PawKor Bit poster

Looks like don't give a ... maybe we should vote with our money and move to other solution like VMware, there is no licence issue.

13. samanthav1

samanthav1 Bit poster

GUYS I was told there'd always been a one-user per mac policy. Super useful info.;);)
    Sincerely,
    a random Mac user named Sam who contacted support

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2020
  14. _a_r_t_h_u_r_j

_a_r_t_h_u_r_j Bit poster

I used bootcamp too, for the sole purpose of gaming. It's a godsend, seriously.

15. SchroedersKater

SchroedersKater Member

I think it is completely useless to complain here. I'll move to Fusion as well. Tried it and found out that it works well as Parallels. And they do have service, real service that is not as arrogant and ignoring as they are here.

16. _a_r_t_h_u_r_j

_a_r_t_h_u_r_j Bit poster

Hey Thommy, I know they don't have control over how the software works, but it's not very nice to say that the customer service here is arrogant! They're doing their best. :)

Regards, Arthur

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2020
  17. MarthaN

MarthaN Bit poster

Yes, I agree with this post With the basic license, VM Fusion allows individual users to install the software on any computer they own. If the parallels don't change their politics anytime soon, you'll be watching VM Fusion.

18. Andreas76

Andreas76 Bit poster

I just need to have the annual subscription because I need some more RAM.
    Thats so expensive for my kind of usage but I was just about to do this step... glad I saw this thread.
    Are you kidding me ? Really every kind of apple software allows to run on at least 2 devices. Of Course I want to use it on my MacBook too maybe 10 times a year when I am on a trip. You really want me to pay an additional annual fee ?

I already complained about policy years ago but it got worse now. So I cannot have any hopes that you will listen... and I cannot wait for you anymore.
    So... bye again and HI to new fusion - I remember why I switched to VMware years ago. PD gets more and more expensive and aggressive. It never felt like having "having somenthing" but like "pay again and again".

19. FredrikN1

FredrikN1 Bit poster

I guess I should've chosen VM Fusion for this reason, but didn't realize till now.

20. emerge

emerge Bit poster

Same as everyone here I tried to use this on two machines my laptop and my desktop and it sucks to have to switch back and fourth.

BillW8 likes this.