Windows Insider Dev Channel and Builds

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by ChristopherW23, Sep 18, 2021.

1. ChristopherW23

ChristopherW23 Junior Member

Regarding the latest build 22458.1000.
    Seems like this is the first build that requires the TPM hardware option.
    I have not added this to the virtual machine until now and the install did not progress like previous updates.
    Once I installed the TPM Chip to the VM all was well again.

Also I don't have any option at present to move from the DEV channel to Beta or Release Preview.
    Any suggestions about where this is going with Microsoft once the full windows 11 upgrade is pushed to windows 10 users?

Comments welcome.

2. ChristopherW23

ChristopherW23 Junior Member

Thanks for the information, I guess the question is what is the end game here.

Running Windows 11 on a M1 Mac under parallels may require DEV channel level of support or will changing out to regular builds provide the same support?

I am not sure which is the best way to progress. I am thinking of sticking with the DEV channel until the public release of Windows and upgrade an older saved VM version of windows 10, then see how it goes.

The good thing about parallels is that you can have these saved versions of Windows and update as required. Have a DEV version and Full public version of windows.

3. BradB7

BradB7 Member

I have the TPM enabled and have been happily sitting in the Beta channel vs the Dev channel since the 17.0.1 update allowed the ability to get back into the Insider Preview and switch from Dev to Beta. No issues here other than what MS has said about not "supporting" Windows on Apple Silicon. My question is a bit different. Since I'm running with a Windows Pro license I bought specifically for 10 ARM (then 11) on my M1 MBP, will MS be rolling Insider Previews the ability to change to the standard release, or will we have to reinstall Win 11 from an ISO? (I mean this apart from where MS lets us currently run on an M1). I'm talking in general. Is this how Insider Previews have worked in the past for upgrading to the release candidates?

ChristopherW23 likes this.
  4. BradB7

BradB7 Member

Have you switched over to the Release Preview Channel from the Dev or Beta yet? (I've been sitting in the 'stable' beta with only minor updates (like MS Store apps or MS Defender) since a couple weeks ago. I'm curious if anyone on build 22000.194 has switched to Release Preview Channel and received the notification about Windows 11 upgrade (e.g. How to get the free Windows 11 upgrade early - The Verge ) ? Since we are "not in a supported scenario" (at least from MS), has anyone seen this? BTW...I "am" aware that build 22000.194 is likely that being released in several days.

5. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

I did the same thing - though I also had to first turn off receiving developer updates and then switch off the BETA channel. But I also did not see the option screen shown in the article. I agree it's probably because we are in Windows 11 already.
    Almost tempted to find my backup of the Windows 10 VM before it updated itself to Windows 11 and see if it will work. But have a feeling because we are dealing with the ARM versions of Windows, don't know if it is worth the effort. Anyone who is still running Window 10 for ARM able to get the update to the release version of Windows 11 for ARM?

BradB7 likes this.
  6. BradB7

BradB7 Member

@MichaelH63 That's what I was thinking. If we are on the build that will be used for the release, we won't see the "popup" notification.

7. BradB7

BradB7 Member

@MichaelH63 and @SWANDY I noticed how the Windows Update says "Windows 10" too when you switch to the Release Preview Channel. But, yeah, we're already *in* Windows 11. I guess just a few more days to wait folks and see what happens come Oct. 5?