Parallels 17 (Pro) Issues

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by KristianS1, Aug 11, 2021.

1. RafaelG4

RafaelG4 Bit poster

Me too.

2. phani

phani Bit poster

I'm having issues with Shared Network since upgrading to Parallels 17. It works fine when my Mac is connected to internet directly. But when I use my work VPN on Mac, Windows 11 cannot connect to Internet. With Parallels 16, Windows used to share the Network perfectly fine, but looks like Parallels 17 screwed it.

3. MikeG13

MikeG13 Bit poster

Well, since there's been a couple fix releases, I decided to try installing 17 again. This is version 17.1.0. I did a full backup in case i needed to recover. but everything went fine. The coherence issue (or rather not being able to go into coherence issue) seems to be be working fine like it did in version 16. Everything seems stable, and though I can't confirm whether it's actually running faster, it does seem to be.
    I want to thank the Parallels Support team for fixing these bugs. We're all running on somewhat different configurations, so testing for every possible one just isn't feasible.

4. MiklosM

MiklosM Bit poster

@MikeG13 : thanks for sharing your experiences! I'm glad that at least one of us has a working environment...

...for me it's still very slow and can refer to a post #1 with a very similar config and scenario.

I've created the technical report 391368801, hope, it helps somewhat. The general performance issue is for me (still) a showstopper to use Parallels v17 (Pro), so I'll downgrade to v16 again:
    • tested with Big Sur before -> failed, performance was generally bad
    • upgraded now to Monterey -> failed, and I guess, the performance got even worse
    Specs:
    • MBP 2019 - 2,3 GHz 8 Core i9
    • 64 GB RAM
    • Guest OS: Windows 10 (LTSC)
    I'm wondering, if it makes sense to reach out to the Support Center.

5. MiklosM

MiklosM Bit poster

I might not downgrade back to v16, if I can save some time, because I've found the post #11 useful: switching the Hypervisor from Parallels to Apple made my sluggish and freezing VMs become lightning fast.

But that's not the solution, if @PaulChris@Parallels is right in this post #3. Fortunately, at the moment I don't need nested virtualization, but that would be the very first and important shortcomings of switching to Apple Hypervisor. Secondly, the advertised performance improvement may be meant for the Parallels Hypervisor, right?

6. MikeG13

MikeG13 Bit poster

I'm on the latest (17.1.1) and all is well. Whatever was causing me issues in the dot zero release was fixed in 17.1 and 17.1.1 is also fine. I'm still on Catalina, though, so that may be relevant. That's the highest my machine will run unless I use the hacks to install unsupported releases.

7. MiklosM

MiklosM Bit poster

Of course, it's relevant. I did not have issues on Catalina, and I find that Mac OS release quite good, even if it brought some breaking changes.

I started to have the issues with the hypervisor on Big Sur, than I downgraded to v14 due to bad performance of v17. The situation has not changed on Monterey, but I realized that the VM runs on Apple Hypervisor lightning fast, and I have luck, that at the moment I do not need any special features like Nested Virtualization, but it'd be nice if the promised performance benefit by Parallels Hypervisor worked, certainly faster is better.

8. AlexandraA1

AlexandraA1 Bit poster

It almost always changes the MBP16 display resolution to something different (sometimes lower, sometimes higher?!?!?). Sometimes after disconnecting, it still incorrectly shows that the other 2 displays are there (in the VM, but not in Mac OS). Occasionally it changes the resolution of one of the other 2 displays, but this has been rare. PD16 used to occasionally get the monitor settings slightly confused - sometimes it thought there was a 4th display that didn't actually exist.

9. lindap2

lindap2 Bit poster

I regret my update from V16 tot V17 a while ago. Because it's a while ago, I was hoping for quick fixes all the time, I cannot revert back to V16 anymore since V17 VM's are not working in V16. Checking for updates every day, and still hoping that Parallels will come up with an update ASAP. And next time when I have a good version like V16.

10. GroupS

GroupS Bit poster

I'm struggling as well with 17.

I've also noticed that in windows it does't like double letters so hello comes out at helo i've had to mess around with keyboard set it to game mode now that seems to have worked. I solved that but it's still slow and freezes a lot i'm on a macbook pro last intel generation with 32gb of memory.
    tried with 8 or 16gb of memory dedicated to the vm.

11. AmberA2

AmberA2 Bit poster

• Mouse cursor sometimes gets stuck on last cursor
    • Generally poor graphics performance
      • Full screen YouTube can hang for a few seconds)
      • Playback isn't very smooth
      • Scrolling text in editor windows slow

12. MiklosM

MiklosM Bit poster

@lindap2 , I disagree with your statement: you can downgrade to lower versions, I've already done it once. You need to contact support for the v16 dmg and remove the Parallel Tools from the current VMs, then you can downgrade the Parallels and re-install the corresponding Parallel Tools on all VMs. But of course, this process is quite tedious.

Alternatively, you can switch to Apple Hypervisor, if you don't need Nested virtualization, but this is also just a workaround...

13. XuQ

XuQ Bit poster

I just have bought a version from parallels desktop 17 version first time on 3.5.2022. Everything seems well in installing while the last step shows I need providean upgraded key. Please confirm it with the key from the previous version" request my previous key that I put and receive always the message "The product key of a previous version of Parallels Desktop has been not accepted on the license server". How can I validate it?

14. timg12

timg12 Bit poster

Many issues, now I am unable to upgrade from Desktop to Pro. I believe that this may be a strategy by Parallels to force its users to purchase a concurrent license, please help

15. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, please let us know from which version to which version you are trying to upgrade.

16. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, please let us know from which version to which version you are trying to upgrade.

17. MiklosM

MiklosM Bit poster

I've finally downgraded back to v16, because Apple Hypervisor was fast on v17 indeed, but Coherence was buggy with Citrix Workspace and v17 stopped the ability to charge the MBP via USB-C of the monitor.

18. WesleyP1

WesleyP1 Bit poster

As with many people here, I've been facing the dreaded audio popping/stuttering issue with parallels 17 and win 11. I'm running the latest parallels (17.1.2) on a m1 Max 16in macbook. Another issue I've been having is that when playing back 5.1 surround sound files, the audio for the center channel gets sent to the subwoofer, and the audio for the subwoofer gets sent to the center channel. Otherwise it works okay outside of the crackling/popping. I was able to use wasapi output in foobar2000 to get around the crackling, but the surround sub/center issue remains. I was wondering if there's any chance that either of these issues will be getting fixed, or how I could help in fixing them. I've used parallels for a while and it's generally been excellent, this is really the first time I've been having issues.

19. SirCodesALot

SirCodesALot Member

I had this stuttering and total lock of my MacBook pro (both the VM and on the macOS side) in Big Sur. I've uninstalled the Parallels tools in my Windows VM, only for it to seem to return shortly after a Windows Update. However, that said, I finally upgraded to Monterey and all the stuttering, system lock up stopped completely! At this point I'm not sure if it was the upgrade to Monterey or just reinstalling macOS would have done the trick. In any case, I'm glad to be rid of this issue.
    That said, I wonder if the issue resided on the macOS side of things possibly? I'm using Apple's Hypervisor and whatever may have been causing it was in the Big Sur version of that hypervisor. It's tough for me to say at this point.

Of everyone that's posted, I wonder how many are running Big Sur (or earlier).

20. WesleyP1

WesleyP1 Bit poster

Glad that it was fixed for you! Unfortunately, I'm on the latest update of Monterey and have been having this issue. Maybe something will magically fix it for me too, but it seems pretty common among users with the m1 chips.