AVX/AVX2 instructions + DirectX 12

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by xazac, Dec 14, 2021.

1. xazac

xazac Bit poster

I contacted Apple to ask them more info about Apple Silicon family capabilities and they replied to me with this statement:

40B9F61D-E321-4B92-BEC9-0AC016718E63.jpeg
    They also added:
    Schermata 2021-12-14 alle 13.53.32.png
    So, dear Parallels, you have no excuses now to bring both AVX/AVX2 and DirectX12 to Parallels for ARM architecture.

MatthewR20, ReinhardS8 and Leland like this.
  2. alev

alev Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Hi all, if you experience AVX/AVX2-related errors and your application doesn't run in Windows on Arm, please report application names and versions at https://forum.parallels.com/threads/avx-avx2-instructions.355351/, like GuyK2 did.

It can be that some of these apps are not properly detecting the capabilities of the Windows 11 emulation and can actually run just fine there. Feel free to reach out to the developers of these applications too. Parallels team will try to reach out using our channels.

3. Zamadatix

Zamadatix Bit poster

According to your own quote AVX/AVX2 can't be brought through virtualization only emulation. Parallels is not an emulator, it's a hypervisor. If you want an emulator that supports x86 VMs go look at UTM w/ QEMU backend and see how dog slow emulators are compared to hypervisors.

As for DirectX 12 it's absolutely technically feasible to paravirtualize it, I've never heard them claim it wasn't? Lack of support is due to work effort.

4. xazac

xazac Bit poster

Hypervisor or not, Parallels must work on that.

5. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hello! Thank you a lot for your feedback. AVX instructions aren't supported in Parallels Desktop yet. We've shared your feedback with our R & D Team.

6. KieranH

KieranH Bit poster

Hi all, I am new to this forum and I am afraid I am not very knowledgable about the technical details being discussed above but perhaps you can help clarify this for me . I have been running Mapinfo/Discover GIS software (now Datamine) for many years on a Macbook via Parallels, currently a 2016/17 2.9GHz Intel Core i7. I have just bought a Macbook Pro with an M1 max chip. I purchased a new copy of Parallels 18 and downloaded Windows 11 directly at the end of the Parallels installation. I have tried to install the latest version of the Datamine software and it appeared to install OK (no errors) However when I try to open the programme I get a message saying the "computers CPU does not support AVX extensions, both Windows 10 (sic) and Discover which require AVX extensions. Upgrade your processor to one that supports AVX extensions". Does this mean I am wasting my time trying to run this software on this (very expensive) M1 mac or might there be a workaround? I have contacted the Datamine support team and they do not have a solution other that to suggest I run Windows WM on the cloud which is not a practical solution for me as I work a lot in remote areas in Africa where connectivity can be hit and miss. Any guidance appreciated.

7. Mikhail Ushakov

Hello!
    Thank you for your feedback, I've shared it with our R&D Team.
    Since we don't support this feature, there is no workaround we can provide to you right now, unfortunately.

8. YvonneB2

YvonneB2 Bit poster

I am trialling Parallels and really need this feature, is there any update on it? Is it in the pipeline? It will be a deciding factor on whether I buy or not. Thank you.

9. Pavel Merkulov

Pavel Merkulov Parallels Team

Hello!

Unfortunately, we can not disclose our plans for the implementation of certain features, as it is confidential information. But we do remember about this feature and doing our best.

WilliamT14 likes this.
  10. BrunoP9

BrunoP9 Bit poster

I would also very much like to have AVX/AVX2 supported by parallels. I tried Parallels Desktop and found out the app I want to run, imatch, doesn't run because it needs AVX support. So even though I found Parallels to run Windows extremely well I have no use for it as I only downloaded it in order to run that app. If you ever support AVX, I'll be happy to buy Parallels to be able to use imatch.

11. Aydaskhan Asochakov

Aydaskhan Asochakov Staff Member

Greetings BrunoP9,
    Thank you for posting on Parallels Forum.
    Our R&D Team is aware of it.
    As my colleagues mentioned we can not disclose our plans for the implementation of certain features, as it is confidential information.
    However, once we get the information, we will share it.
    Thank you for understanding.
    Wishing you a great week!

12. StefanK35

StefanK35 Bit poster

I´d like to have that DX12 available in Parallels as well.

It would be great if there is any update regarding milestones, future plans or anything towards your customers to show that you care / are working on it.
    Or just be honest and say it will not be implemented at all, so we can look for alternative ways (there are a couple of remote pc solutions with monthly fee).

Telling it to be "confidential" is just no useful reply, it is more like keeping customers on hold. Considering that DX12 was released about 8 years ago, I am about to assume that Parallels has no interest in implementing it, but I would love to hear that I am wrong.

Regards,

Stefan

13. Mikhail Ushakov

Hello Stefan,
    I can tell you for sure that Parallels is interested in implementing DirectX 12. But we all have to note that it requires such a huge amount of work that it definitely takes time. Unfortunately, we can't share more details about that for many reasons.

StefanK35 likes this.
  14. kaanozg

kaanozg Bit poster

Dear Parallels staff,
    Any news on this? I bought Parallels to play a single game, just to play that game (Age of Empires IV), and it does not work saying "Your CPU needs to support AVX instructions to run this game". I'm currently using a M1 Max Pro. This is so frustrating.

15. IanC17

IanC17 Bit poster

Has anyone managed to get this work ?

16. LaurenD3

LaurenD3 Bit poster

Could someone from Parallels post an update on this feature request? I also purchased parallels for a single use, only to learn now that I can can't run my software. Thanks.

17. GuyK2

GuyK2 Bit poster

I would also like to have AVX2 support. I am an engineer working with EPLAN electrical. I had an Intel Mac Book Pro with Parallels running x86 windows 11. Alas, I upgraded to the M2 MacBook Pro and now the application does not work... I am gutted as this is a major part of my workflow. At the moment I am considering selling the M2 MacBook Pro and going back to the Intel based MacBook Pro. Please help!

Koenv1 likes this.
  18. GiuseppeD6

GiuseppeD6

Hello to everyone. Same issue here. Parallels desktop is on my wishlist, but the only software I need it for requires support for AVX instructions. As I see in this discussion, the issue was first reported in 2021. We are now in the end of 2023 and I was wondering if anyone from Parallels team can follow-up the matter and give us some updates. Bear in mind that this issue is holding back a great amount of potential users. Please keep us posted.
    Thank you.

19. alev

alev Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Hi all, if you experience AVX/AVX2-related errors and your application doesn't run in Windows on Arm, please report application names and versions at https://forum.parallels.com/threads/avx-avx2-instructions.355351/, like GuyK2 did.

It can be that some of these apps are not properly detecting the capabilities of the Windows 11 emulation and can actually run just fine there. Feel free to reach out to the developers of these applications too. Parallels team will try to reach out using our channels.

20. BobbyB3

BobbyB3

21. NanaY

NanaY Bit poster

Fifa 23 does not run some day it's due to avx