Big Sur installation

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by ParallelsU519, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Matthew18

Matthew18 Bit poster

Any news on when this will be supported? It's now been over 10 months since this announcement.
    I would like to start working on an M1 iMac but I really need a virtual machine to do so.
    Thanks.

2. MikeH27

MikeH27 Junior Member

Blame Apple for making the ARM boot process an ass ache.

3. HaraldSt

HaraldSt Member

Based on Monterey beta 8 release notes Apple is still fixing bugs on running Monterey as a guest on the Monterey hypervisor. It's not just Parallels.
    Big Sur will never be supported due to Apple's limitations.

4. HaraldSt

HaraldSt Member

The reason for the complexity is to make it more secure. With my private financial data on a MacBook I will put up with the headaches.
    It's nasty out there.

5. DKim

DKim Bit poster

According to "NEW: Parallels Desktop 16.5 for Mac Supports Both M1 and Intel Chips" release notes, it was promised:
    Parallels Desktop 17.1.1 (51537) still doesn't support macOS Big Sur in a VM.
    Any news on when macOS Big Sur in a VM will be supported?

6. DKim

DKim Bit poster

Thanks for the info.
    I've created a Monterey VM, but with all these limitations and without sharing the network with the host machine, this VM is useless.

7. JacobT4

JacobT4 Bit poster

I wanted to check the current status. I thought I was running Parallels on Apple M1 Mac with Big Sur.
    I have now upgraded to Monterey and would like to create a Parallels VM with Big Sur running on an Apple M1 Mac Pro.
    Is it possible to create a Parallels Big Sur VM on an Apple M1 Mac Pro

8. JacobT4

JacobT4 Bit poster

Thank you for the confirmation.

9. Silvan1

Silvan1 Member

...omg obvious, you have an M1 Chip, only M1-OS are supported aka Monterey +

10. JacobT4

JacobT4 Bit poster