Big Sur installation

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Apple Silicon (M1) Mac' started by ParallelsU519, Dec 17, 2020.

1. iThanh

iThanh Bit Poster

I can't install Mac Big Sur on Parallels run in M1.
    Please help me

2. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

Big Sur is currently not supported as a guest OS. Parallels is working on it, but at the moment you can only install Windows 10 and some Linux versions.

3. SamW13

SamW13 Bit Poster

IDK, I use Big Sur (11.4) as both the Host and Guest OS, along with other guests for Linux and Windows 10. I am not having any issues with Big Sur installation on x86 MBP. Yet, stability of the guest with nearly every variant of OS-X version (pre-Big Sur or post) is poor with the latest releases of Parallels. From my memory I've not seen this many issue, and I am not experiencing stability issues with Linux or Windows 10 guests.

4. KlaxL

KlaxL Bit Poster

Well quite a lot has changed since PowerPC days... And if you use it for testing purposes and or packaging, the question whether it runs smoothly (or looks good) is less relevant - most of all, it just needs to work.
    Of course if a system like this works for 15 years or similar, 1st of all you don't expect it to be abolished just like that - and 2nd, when working with developing, testing and using management systems like Jamf, you use the possibilities given for developing purposes, you build on the possibilties given. 15 years is a really long time - changing such basic possibilities like that after such a long time, is asking for trouble IMHO.
    I mean it's obvious, Apple never cared much about business users, enterprise setups etc.; but are we supposed to be happy + grateful about this?!?

5. Matthew18

Matthew18 Bit Poster

Any news on when this will be supported? It's now been over 10 months since this announcement.
    I would like to start working on an M1 iMac but I really need a virtual machine to do so.
    Thanks.

6. MikeH27

MikeH27 Bit Poster

Blame Apple for making the ARM boot process an ass ache.

7. HaraldSt

HaraldSt Bit Poster

Based on Monterey beta 8 release notes Apple is still fixing bugs on running Monterey as a guest on the Monterey hypervisor. It's not just Parallels.
    Big Sur will never be supported due to Apple's limitations.

8. HaraldSt

HaraldSt Bit Poster

The reason for the complexity is to make it more secure. With my private financial data on a MacBook I will put up with the headaches.
    It's nasty out there.

9. DKim

DKim Bit Poster

According to "NEW: Parallels Desktop 16.5 for Mac Supports Both M1 and Intel Chips" release notes, it was promised:
    Parallels Desktop 17.1.1 (51537) still doesn't support macOS Big Sur in a VM.
    Any news on when macOS Big Sur in a VM will be supported?

10. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

Probably never.
    "To run a macOS Monterey VM on Mac computers with Apple M1 chips, Parallels Desktop 17 uses new technology introduced in macOS Monterey, that's why it is not possible to run earlier versions of macOS on a Mac with Apple M1 chips." https://kb.parallels.com/en/125561

11. DKim

DKim Bit Poster

Thanks for the info.
    I've created a Monterey VM, but with all these limitations and without sharing the network with the host machine, this VM is useless.

12. JacobT4

JacobT4 Bit Poster

I wanted to check the current status. I thought I was running Parallels on Apple M1 Mac with Big Sur.
    I have now upgraded to Monterey and would like to create a Parallels VM with Big Sur running on an Apple M1 Mac Pro.
    Is it possible to create a Parallels Big Sur VM on an Apple M1 Mac Pro

13. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

No, you can only create a Monterey VM. And even that has limited functionality at the moment.

JacobT4 likes this.
  14. JacobT4

JacobT4 Bit Poster

Thank you for the confirmation.

15. Silvan1

Silvan1 Bit Poster

...omg obvious, you have an M1 Chip, only M1-OS are supported aka Monterey +

16. JacobT4

JacobT4 Bit Poster