MiraCast support for external Displays

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by StevenB9, Mar 21, 2019.

1. StevenB9

StevenB9 Bit poster

External screens such as Samsung Flip work with MiraCast technology built in into Windows 10 to allow Wireless screen sharing. In Parallels we get the message "This PC or Mobile device doesn't support..." and no external device is shown.

2. Michael@Parallels

Michael@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Steven,
    Miracast is currently is not supported in Parallels Desktop due to macOS limitations. We've submitted a feature request for our development team, so that once the situation with macOS peculiarities changes, we will be able to implement this functionality into one of the next Parallels Desktop versions.

3. George11

George11 Bit poster

Hi Michael. Do you have any updates re the above? Did you manage to implement Miracast into the Parallels desktop. This is a native feature of windows 10 and is a little bit disappointing that you dont support this. Also if you have not managed to implemented this yet can you please suggest a way around it? i.e. will a Miracast adapter work as a temporary solution until Parallels find a way to sort this out? Your swift response will be much appreciated.

PaulW23, JonathanW11 and DanielV10 like this.
  4. RayhanK

RayhanK Bit poster

I was wondering when Miracast will work with Parallels and why it isn't working already. Are there any other solutions to get Miracast working on the meantime?

AlexandraE, NickB18 and DanielV10 like this.
  5. DanielV10

DanielV10 Bit poster

I'm heavily missing this feature because I liked to miracast my screen (on Lenovo Windows 10 device) to a Microsoft Display Adapter or Microsoft Surface Hub. I think, that there must be a Wifi-card present within the virtual machine. Until now, I did not find a way, how to get this to work.

6. Hi, Miracast dongles connect over HDMI to computers/TVs.
    Unfortunately we're not able to implement this feature, until Macs support Miracast.
    But if you would like to take part in the Parallels Desktop improvement, please share your feature request at this thread.
    We appreciate your time and cooperation with us.

7. DanielV10

DanielV10 Bit poster

Hi Maria,
    thank you very much.
    An idea came to my mind to come around the fact, that Macs don't support Miracast: I've bought a WiFi USB Adapter and forced the connection of the plugged in device to the Win 10 VM. The device shows up in Windows 10 as expected and I was full of anticipation that Miracast will work then. The opposite was the fact - Miracast is still not working.
    But now, it's not because of Mac, it's because of the Parallels display driver that support WDDM 1.1 only and not WDDM 1.3.
    Do you have a graphics driver that is WDDM 1.3 compatible? I would love to try that.
    Kind regards,
    Daniel

AlexandraE likes this.
  8. DanielV10

DanielV10 Bit poster

Hi all, I appreciate this feature request.
    I've tried to use a WiFi USB adpater connected to Windows 10 to have a Wireless connection in Windows 10. This worked, but Miracast was still not possible due to the old WDDM 1.1 version of the Parallels display adapter. The minimum version is 1.3. And Windows 10 current build has the version 2.6, so Parallels is quite "old-school" with that very old driver version.

9. RayhanK

RayhanK Bit poster

What USB WiFi driver are you using? I still don't have Miracast. I do hope it gets fixed though.

10. DanielV10

DanielV10 Bit poster

I'm having a TP-Link Nano adapter but I'm not sure 100% that this one would work, because the requirement of having a graphics driver with WDDM support 1.3 is missing by Parallels. That must be solved first. WDDM version 1.1 support, which comes with the current Parallels graphics driver, was introduced with Windows 7 - very old indeed.
    Cheers,
    Daniel

11. ParallelsU391

ParallelsU391 Bit poster

Support Miracast via Connect App in Windows 10. Currently it's not possible to connect to a Miracast enabled device.

AlexandraE, NickB18 and m.k. like this.
  12. MarcusL2

MarcusL2 Bit poster

Hi all,
    This would be an amazing feature, the lack of Miracast was disappointing (it was one of the reasons why I signed up for a subscription, but I didn't realise it didn't work...). My organisation has a couple of Surface Hub 2s, and not being able to cast up your screen during a meeting (unless you're running a windows device) is a constant, and embarrassing flaw to Mac/Parallels users.
    I understand that this is more to do with Apple than it is Parallels. Either way, eagerly anticipating an update/solution.

PaulW23 likes this.
  13. PaulW23

PaulW23 Bit poster

I would appreciate an answer from Parallels also. How close are you guys to providing Miracast support.

14. PaulW23

PaulW23 Bit poster

Any update on this Michael ?

15. Azril

Azril Bit poster

16. Azril

Azril Bit poster

17. Alex126

Alex126 Bit poster

Still not allow using miracast. Any update for this issue?

18. MohamedE11

MohamedE11

I was wondering when Miracast will work with Parallels and why it isn't working already. Are there any other solutions to get Miracast working on the meantime?