Error with Ubuntu 20

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by David100, Mar 11, 2022.

1. MarianoM

MarianoM Bit poster

I have the very same exact issue.

2. BenjaminB15

BenjaminB15 Bit poster

Confirmed M1/ARM, Same issue with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS ... kernels 5.4.0-90 and 5.4.0-100 are OK, but 5.4.0-104 breaks with EFI_RNG_PROTOCOL
    Note that the same EFI_RNG_PROTOCOL message appeared in the previous kernels, but 5.4.0.104 doesn't gracefully continue. Boot switches avoiding EFI fail.

3. HarriL3

HarriL3 Bit poster

Confirmed M1/ARM, Same issue with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS ... kernels 5.4.0-90 and 5.4.0-100 are OK, but 5.4.0-104 breaks with EFI_RNG_PROTOCOL

Both on Ubuntu 20.04.2 Server and Desktop.

4. Igor27

Igor27 Bit poster

M1/ARM 5.4.0-104 not load - EFI_RNG_PROTOCOL error EFI_RNG_PROTOCOL unavailable

5. AaronN1

AaronN1 Bit poster

6. Meng-Yuan Huang

Meng-Yuan Huang Bit poster

Parallel Desktop Version 17.1.2 (51548) fixes this problem. It works well with Ubuntu 21.10 arm64 with kernel 5.13.0-35.

ParallelsU906 and BobW11 like this.
  7. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello everyone, we have released a Parallels Desktop hotfix version 17.1.2. The Ubuntu virtual machine boot-up issue got fixed in that. Please visit this KB article to know more.

8. liuxg

liuxg Bit poster

I just got the new release of parallells desktop. I am not sure whether it resolves the issue or not.

9. liuxg

liuxg Bit poster

I just got the new update for parallels desktop. I am wondering whether it resolves the issue or not. How can I know which release addresses the issue. Thanks

10. AntonisT

AntonisT Bit poster

I can also confirm that the latest update (Version 17.1.2 build:51548) resolves the issue of stuck on boot with the latest kernel.

11. BillyC2

BillyC2 Bit poster

What about the App Store Edition? I'm assuming the hotfix does not work for this version...

12. LeandrinL

LeandrinL Bit poster

Hi, i still get the same error even after changing the kernel. What am i supposed to do? I am sadly on the verge of canceling my Parallels Desktop subscription.

13. NikolaiS@Parallels

NikolaiS@Parallels Staff Member

@LeandrinL , thank you for letting us know.

As we can see, there is a recently submitted support ticket where our Tier-1 team has suggested the steps.

We've taken the ticket in the second line in case these steps don't help, and we could take a closer look at the case.

Thanks!

14. Tangents

Tangents Bit poster

Is the problem back?
    I tried upgrading to 22.04.1LTS from 20.04LTS and when it boots it says `EFI stub: Exiting boot services` but without the `and installing virtual address nap` part.
    This is happening with kernel 5.15.0-46. (The workaround to boot with kernel 5.13.0-40-generic works.)

15. FancyB

FancyB Bit poster

I'm having the same problem now as well with Parallels Desktop 18

16. NikolaiS@Parallels

NikolaiS@Parallels Staff Member

@H__6 , @FancyB thank you!
    We have created support tickets and will contact you there shortly.

Tangents likes this.
  17. Tangents

Tangents Bit poster

@NikolaiS@Parallels This is @H__6 (name changed).

It's no longer a problem for me. It resolved itself. I don't know if it was a Ubuntu kernel update that did it or a Parallels update, but all is back to normal.