Serial ports

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by maxw11, Apr 28, 2021.

1. JordanD4

JordanD4 Bit poster

Hey there, I'm trying to install the driver manually and keep getting this error. Any ideas why this might happen? I checked the inf files and my VID and PID are listed. Thank you.

upload_2022-3-24_15-53-20.png

2. RichardG17

RichardG17 Member

1) Download the official drivers for Windows ARM64 on FTDI's VCP drivers page: CDM-v2.12.36.4A. Don't use the beta drivers. They require disabling the driver signature security check.
    2) Unzip the driver file. Plug in the USB device.
    3) Right-click on the device in Device Manager and select Update Driver, then select "Browse my computer for drivers"
    4. Browse to the folder to which the driver files were extracted. The folder you want is <path to folder containing unzipped files>\CDM-v2.12.36.4-for-ARM64-Signed-Distributable\ARM64\Release"
    5. Click on Next. That should do it.

3. JordanD4

JordanD4 Bit poster

Ok I feel like I'm crazy but no matter what I do I can't get it to recognize the driver. I've reinstalled Parallels and Windows multiple times. I've tried multiple different types of FTDI cables(all with the VID 0402 and PID 6001). I followed the instructions above after a clean install of Windows. Only thing I can think of is if I have the wrong version of Windows or if they changed something recently? I am using the "Trial" version of Parallels for now because I was hoping to get this to work before I bought it. It's acting like the folder isn't there. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help!

4. JordanD4

JordanD4 Bit poster

Ok I got it working! Apparently the driver has to be on the C drive of the Windows partition and it cannot live in a Mac folder. Thank you for your help!

5. gteague

gteague Bit poster

i can't find where the driver files are. i searched for FTDI in file explorer and nothing. obviously i only use windows for my radio configs and am thrashing around. tks! /guy

6. gteague

gteague Bit poster

nevermind. i downloaded the setup pkg. i went back and found what i think are the loose files zipped up and hopefully i can put 'em where i know where they are! <ggeeeesh>

7. NeilT4

NeilT4 Bit poster

Hello, I followed your instructions and now my device has been assigned (COM3) within the device manager, although I still can't communicate with the serial device I've connected my cable to. I'm using Parallels 18 Trial and Windows 11 Home (that has not been activated).

Long shot, but might you know if either of these is now my issue?
    Using Apple Air M1, and DTECH DT-5119 FTDI cable

8. Avinash Bundhoo

Avinash Bundhoo Staff Member

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.
    According to our information, FTDI has released a driver for the ARM architecture.
    To install it, please follow the steps below:

1. Run the virtual machine.
    2. Download the driver here: https://ftdichip.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/CDM-v2.12.36.4-for-ARM64-Signed-Distributable.zip
    2.1. Locate the unpacked folder of CDM-v2.12.36.4-for-ARM64-Signed-Distributable -> right-click -> "Copy".
    2.2. Open "File Explorer" -> navigate to the C:\ drive -> right-click -> "Paste".
    2.3. Folder should appear in your C:\ drive and have a path: C:\CDM-v2.12.36.4-for-ARM64-Signed-Distributable

3. Open Windows Device Manager: click Win R, type devmgmt.msc and click OK. Locate the device
    4. Right-click on the device > Update drivers > Browse my computer for drivers > Let me pick from a list... > Show All Devices > Next > Have Disk > Browse and navigate to the C:\CDM-v2.12.36.4-for-ARM64-Signed-Distributable folder (make sure "Include Subfolders" is checked) -> click "Next".
    Note: If it cannot locate the required .inf file on its own, try pointing it to FTDIBUS.inf in the ARM64 subfolder manually (if it doesn't work, try FTDIPORT.inf).
    5. Device manager should locate the driver and install it.

Following is according to the FTDI driver installation manual, according to it, after installing a bus layer driver, also a COM port layer may need to be installed:

7. Right-click in device manager -> select "Scan for hardware changes".
    Note: you may need to replug your device for it to have effect.
    8. Locate a new device with ?
    9. Right-click on the device > Update drivers > Browse my computer for drivers > Let me pick from a list... > Show All Devices > Next > Have Disk > Browse and navigate to the C:\CDM-v2.12.36.4-for-ARM64-Signed-Distributable folder (make sure "Include Subfolders" is checked) -> click "Next".
    Note: If it cannot locate the required .inf file on its own, try pointing it to FTDIBUS.inf in the ARM64 subfolder manually (if it doesn't work, try FTDIPORT.inf).

For additional information, please check section 3.3 of the FTDI driver installation manual: https://ftdichip.com/wp-content/upl...vers-Installation-Guide-for-Windows-10_11.pdf