Diablo 2 Resurrected (on Windows 11 ARM and Parallels 17)???

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by SWANDY, Apr 11, 2022.

1. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

I believe this has been discussed a while ago, but was curious (for those who have actually purchased Diablo 2 Resurrected which I have not to this point) if the game is playable yet? I remember posts asking about it (both here and on other forums) but the answer I remember reading was that it doesn't work. Just curious - with the updates to macOS, Parallels and Windows 11/ARM if that is still the case (before I attempt purchasing it and trying on my M1 iMac.
    Thanks.

2. beagley

beagley Member

No, it will not work.
    On Intel Macs running Parallels, you can get as far as installing and loading the game, and then you will receive a driver error.
    On M1 Macs... I'm forgetting how far it gets, but it won't run. Folks have tried various solutions (WINE, etc.), but no luck so far.
    I think the fundamental problem is the lack of support for DX12 in Parallels?
    Full discussions is over here: https://forum.parallels.com/threads/diablo-2-resurrected-does-not-run-on-mac-m1-parallel.354412/

JoshuaH4 likes this.
  3. ChrisA24

ChrisA24 Bit poster

Wow after trial and error of trying to get d2r to load right after all the time it took to simply download after I (foolishly) purchased the game thinking it would work as other games have via parallel windows 10... Should have come here first I see lol, doh! I can technically still play the game as I recently purchased a copy of it and a Xbox series s and can play there no problem other than I much prefer keyboard and mouse controls instead of controller. After this headache, and my interest in having a computer nowadays (desktop or laptop) is simply to be able to play Diablo 3 and 2r, and some command and conquer style strategy games as well as a couple other arpg's, and realize mac is not at all capable machine to do such simple tasks that I've never had any holdup on any device until now (1st apple of any kind phone included) I'll happily go back to PC and am ordering replacement now... M1 MacBook was sweet demo and did email, and watched Netflix, and surfed the web beautifully and exceptionally smooth and without needing a charge for the day, but I do those things on my phone anyways and actually prefer using it for those tasks anyways. I'm truly shocked after hearing people rave about how great these machines are.... Yet the software is so limited? Can't play games for most part? Never again... I'm glad I'm able to control my temper better these days and have calmed down apparently as I would and should have chunked these flush aluminum laptop down the driveway to only drive over it later even if it meant me losing any and all value it still held... I'm a nut and an ignorant (stupid more like) one at that I'm fully aware

4. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

Diablo 3 has a MacOS version as does Battlenet and many of the earlier Blizzard games. Sorry you are disappointed in your M1 Mac.

5. beagley

beagley Member

@ChrisA24 You are not a nut, you are not ignorant. You are a human--an amazing, powerful creature that can change the world. I like the feel of MacBooks and MacOS, just as I liked the feel of Diablo 2. But at the end of the day, computers are all dumb chunks of metal and glass that we stare at far too much. All of it is garbage, really, and a thousand hours of Diablo can't equal the value in a single, genuine heartfelt conversation with a friend. Or a really good plate of sushi, or a saag paneer. Saag Paneer beats M1.

6. JoshuaH4

JoshuaH4 Bit poster

@beagley So one evening I got a whim to purchase Diablo 2 Resurrected. I'd never played the original all the way thru back in the day, and now have a desire to play the story lines of Diablo 2 & 3 thru before 4 is released Next Summer. I have an M1 Air. [And an old beastie '16 MBP that had a smokin' eGPU / Bootcamp setup once upon a time. Now it's just sitting there wishing I'd fixed the keyboard before I'd missed the deadline, and replaced its battery... before I got placated by the younger smoother hotness. ] Anyway, I've been googling if's and what's about Diablo 2 Resurrected on apple silicon, and was a tad disheartened. That evening was now.

However....

Beagley has the most awesomest post right here! right now! it brought a smile to my body, soul and mind. A ray of sunshine. Thank you beagley.

7. JoshuaH4

JoshuaH4 Bit poster

Thanks for the link to the full discussions thread on Diablo 2 Resurrected. Much appreciated.