Diablo 2: Resurrected does not run on Mac M1 Parallel

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by BradleyF3, Aug 14, 2021.

1. BradleyF3

BradleyF3 Bit poster

Letting you guys know it does not run on Mac M1 Parallel which is a shame

If there is just a simple problem with a work around then let me know.

Video of the problem, approx 30 seconds before error shows up

DrewH3 likes this.
  2. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

Disappointing but this is only a preview Beta version that has been released to people who pre-purchased the game. Perhaps they will iron out the issues before the official release.

3. Stepmek

Stepmek Bit poster

I have tried now in open beta phase with a M1MacbookAir 8Gb running parallels 17 and i get the error ā€˛failed to initialize graphics device. make sure you fit the minimal hardware requirements" . Any idea on how to fix this? Is there a possibility it gets resolved by parallels? i only bought parallels to play d2r with friends as there is no mac support for the game... would be disappointing if it wouldn't work at all...

4. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

Me too. Same error. Also got Parallels for this and an old Windows program (Lotus Approach that runs perfectly and wouldn't under Crossover). Hope this gets fixed.

Stepmek likes this.
  5. Zapski

Zapski Bit poster

Just tried it on my M1 iMac, with 16 GB RAM (8GB assigned to Parallels) and got the same error. It seems Blizzard just doesn't want it to work. I guess I'll keep playing D2 on my old Bondi which is still running strong

6. Zapski

Zapski Bit poster

I'm in a similar boat - D2 is an all time favorite, so I was really hoping Parallels would let me play it. Still, it is a beta, and there may be hope. I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

(gotta say though, that parallels letting me keep playing Portal from time to time is a huge benefit)

7. Stepmek

Stepmek Bit poster

there are quite a few people now owning M1 Macs, who would like to play d2r, they are also active in the blizzard forums and they will become more. maybe parallels can upgrade a function that pretends to have a specific graphics device as it is emulating the whole thing anyway... that would be cool... maybe blizzard will work on the hardware requirements as d2r seems to be quite graphics intensive and not really optimized for the actual graphics it provides and will allow integrated graphics in the near future.

8. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

There was a similar post on the Mac Rumors site (I think) and the impression was since the error message mentions the video issue, hopefully Parallels can fix this. Had a similar issue with an old Windows golf game (Links) where the game mis-read the available video card.

9. BruceD3

BruceD3 Bit poster

I am on a MB Pro 16" Intel i9 64 GB RAM, Radeon Pro 5600 8 GB, 8 TB ssd - and I get exactly the same message. Will Parallels fix this is the issue - the issue is NOT with M1 Macs, I believe, but with how Parallels handles the graphics driver...

Zapski likes this.
  10. BrunoG4

BrunoG4 Bit poster

11. Stepmek

Stepmek Bit poster

12. PeterC36

PeterC36 Bit poster

I am having the same issue on a Mac Pro.

13. DrewH3

DrewH3 Bit poster

Wondering if anyone has managed to run D2R successfully. Anyone try it with an eGPU setup? Anyone know why it doesn't launch?

14. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

I would love an idea of how to get it running. I haven't purchased the game yet but couldn't get the earlier demo to run.

15. Hello, did ou test it with the Parallels Desktop 17.0.1.?
    Did you get any specific error message?

16. Hello, could you provide us with the details please?
    A technical report and screenshot of the issue will be very helpful

17. minkim

minkim Bit poster

I'm on macOS BigSur 11.5.2, Parallels 16.5.1.
    Getting the same error, screenshot attached. Also sent a technical report.

Attached Files:

DrewH3, sleepyhound and MichaelR71 like this.
  18. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

I don't have anything to report because I haven't purchased the game yet. Was trying to determine if anyone got it running on a similar setup to mine. But from what I have read elsewhere the major issue seems to be that D2R is looking for specific graphic cards/chips.

19. sleepyhound

sleepyhound Bit poster

Hello, wanted to pitch in on this as I'm very hopeful that D2R can get working in Parallels on M1. Glad to see a Parallels Team member is in this thread as well. I'm on an M1 Mac Mini running macOS Big Sur 11.6. Just did a fresh install of Windows 11 Insider Preview this morning on Parallels Desktop 17 for Mac (Version 17.0.1 build 51482). Windows 11 Pro Insider Preview is build number 22454.1000.

Only software I'm running in the VM other than the default Windows software is Battle.Net app and Diablo II: Resurrected installed through the app. After a fresh reboot of the VM I ran Battle.Net and launched Diablo II: Resurrected. I received the same error that others have reported after about 15 - 20 seconds. I've attached a screenshot of this error.

Immediately after this error I also submitted a technical report following the steps posted above by Maria@Parallels. I also opted to use detailed log data as per the steps in the link. Technical report has been submitted with this screenshot as well, technical report number 380037465.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to test / help! Looking forward to hopefully resolving this issue.

Attached Files:

20. MichalH4

MichalH4 Bit poster

Same here. Trying to run it on iMac Pro 2017 (3,2 GHz 8core Intel Xeon W, 32 GB RAM, Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB) under Parallels 17.0.1 with no success...

robibobi and sleepyhound like this.