Diablo 2: Resurrected does not run on Mac M1 Parallel

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by BradleyF3, Aug 14, 2021.

1. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

The only error message I got said that the program (after installing it through the Windows version of Battlenet) is that the program can't initialize the video.

2. JohnF50

JohnF50 Bit poster

I'm experiencing the same challenges as everyone here, just want to play D2R.
    Had no trouble playing Age of Empires 2 through Steam, with Windows 11 Insider Preview. But D2R and Chivalry 2 are the only two games I downloaded all this stuff for. Parallels support pretty quiet in here I see.

3. DanielM82

DanielM82 Bit poster

Anyone tried D2R with Parallel 18?

4. PawKor

PawKor Bit poster

Yes, doesn't work :(
    Failed to initialize graphics device.

5. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

That's what I get also. Keep trying whenever there is a Parallels or Windows 11 update but nothing yet. :(

JoshuaH4 likes this.
  6. JoshuaH4

JoshuaH4 Bit poster

Greetings Parallels support, please provide an update or a status quo assesment of the issue. I see some pretty darned interesting sleuthing over the last year+ by folks. But to no avail. I recently switched over from Fusion to Parallels because I was looking forward to wan imagined (and probably real) higher level of support and community.

My use-cases for a virtual machine these days:
    1: support for misc "older" or rebuilt games such as Diablo 2 Resurrected.
    2: accessing Citrix / SecureID for work thru a Windows environment when my company's IT team hasn't optimized for MacOS / etc.

I know many folks will applaud whenever this D2R becomes playable on apple silicon. :D

SWANDY likes this.
  7. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

Well - multiple Parallels, Windows 11 (and Battlenet just to include it also) updates have come and been installed and still get the same freaking error message. Perhaps if Parallels ever gets true support for DirectX 12, then we will have a shot at D2R working.

8. Artem10

Artem10 Bit poster

Parallels 18. Not working

9. Chiahua.Wang

Chiahua.Wang Bit poster

I use MacBook Air m2, and I encountered the same problem after installing D2R yesterday. I really hope to support DirectX12 early and then play D2R well.

10. JonathanA10

JonathanA10 Junior Member

I'm not able to play Diablo IV on parallels either. I get an error saying that Diablo IV requires a GPU and no GPU can be found.

11. IvayloI1

IvayloI1 Bit poster

@maria
    Maria, any update on this please? It has been more than 2 years and the issue is still there.

12. TimeHorse

TimeHorse Polymath Software Slinger Bit poster

I'm here on an M3 with 128 GB of ram and 64 cores between GPU and CPU. I have the latest version of Parallels Professional and am paying money each year. Why is this not working yet. Do I have to buy a Surface Pro 2 to play the games I bought!?

SWANDY likes this.
  13. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

Would love this to be resolved as now I have to pay for Parallels and Crossover (because Parallels won't run the newest Diablo IV and Diablo II Resurrected and Crossover has issues with Links 2003 and Lotus Approach, both of which run perfectly under Parallels 19/Windows 11)

TimeHorse likes this.