Once I turn on the Paralles Desktop , Dns doesn't work.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by langlang, Oct 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. langlang

langlang Bit poster

I try the Parallels 17.0, Once I turn on the Parallels Desktop, Macos'Dns does not work。At that time,I can ping dns server successfully, and vm's network is ok. I use wireshark to sniff, and found that i can't catch any dns request . Once I trun off the Parallels Desktop, dns work again.
    In order to resolve this problem,I update to 17.1, but that doesn't work.

2. langlang

langlang Bit poster

Nobody else has the same problem?

3. SeanK8

SeanK8 Bit poster

I upgraded to Parallels 17 today and spun up an Ubuntu Linux VM which worked fine, but then I tried to spin up a Fedora and CentOS Linux VM and neither of them could resolve DNS under some circumstances. Oddly, the dig command worked, but most other things failed.

I happened to find this KB article about DNS issues with Windows guests and decided to give the solution a try, and it worked like a charm.

https://kb.parallels.com/en/124502

In this case, it involved switching from a shared network to a bridged network.

I have no idea why it appears to only impact certain Linux distributions, but it fixed the issue.

4. AnsonH1

AnsonH1 Bit poster

This happens to me every few days or weeks, DNS quits responding on the Shared network. I'm currently using Parallels Desktop Business Edition 18.3.2 on macOS 13.5.

I've found two ways to "reset" and get DNS working:
    1. Reboot my host. Always works, but is disruptive.
    2. Shut down VMs, the Parallels GUI and use macOS Activity Manager to kill the "Parallels Service" process.
      From the terminal, something like this works too:
      Code:
      vagrant halt example1 # shutdown VMs (if you use vagrant)
      pgrep -fla "Parallels" # find relevant processes
      pkill prl_client_app # this seems to kill them all