Unable to install parallels tools on new Kali Linux kernel 5.18.0-kali2-amd64

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by JorgeE4, Jun 22, 2022.

1. JorgeE4

JorgeE4 Bit poster

Hi,
    anyone having trouble with parallels tools after upgrade to new Kali Linux Kernel version? 5.18.0-kali2-amd64?
    Trying to reinstall, but the installer complains about missing module

2. Daniel56

Daniel56 Bit poster

Best Answer
    I'm facing with the same issue - not able to install 5.18.0-kali2-amd64. Any hints? Thanks.

Sharjeela likes this.
  3. OlivierProTips

OlivierProTips Bit poster

Hi,

Same issue here, on both ARM64 and AMD64 Kali.

modprobe: FATAL: Module prl_tg not found in directory /lib/modules/5.18.0-kali2-arm64

4. TanB1

TanB1 Bit poster

Same issues faced. Fresh installation of the Kali Linux but still not able to install.

Error: could not build kernel modules
    modprobe: FATAL: Module prl_tg not found in directory /lib/modules/5.18.0-kali2-arm64
    Error: failed to install Parallels Guest Tools!

5. Gary22

Gary22 Bit poster

To get PT installed you'll need to install linux-headers version 5.16. These have been removed from the current Kali repository. You'll have to add another repository into the /etc/sources.list file to install via apt. (Dont know which one, sorry) :-(

6. MeisterM

MeisterM Bit poster

Yup, same... I am on arm64 but get exactly the same error (but wht arm64 in the Kernel Names :D)

7. ScottN8

ScottN8 Bit poster

I've just rolled back to the 5.17 arm64 kernel for the moment, but would love to know if there's a way to resolve this to run on the new kernel.

Sharjeela and OlivierProTips like this.
  8. OlivierProTips

OlivierProTips Bit poster

Thank you @ScottN8 for the tips.
    It gave me an idea. Here is how I made it work:
    1. Start Kali VM
    2. On first screen (the Grub), select Advanced options for Kali GNU/Linux
    3. Select Kali 5.17
    4. Once logged in, reinstall Parallels Tools
    5. Reboot
    6. Do steps 2 & 3

9. leoghann

leoghann Bit poster

I was able to install the tools on the 5.18 kernel using the procedure outlined here:
    https://forum.parallels.com/threads/tools-patch-procedure.351669/

And this patch:
    https://forum.parallels.com/threads...rallel-tools-17-1-4-51567.357611/#post-904802

When I did, though, I found that the CPU usage in the VM was constantly hovering at 65-70%. Installing the tools on the 5.16 kernel and then upgrading to 5.18 doesn't seem to have the same issue, although I haven't tried reinstalling them in 5.18. (TBH I'm too much of a n00b to know if I need to or not, but nothing seems broke, so I'm not going to try to fix it yet.)

10. leoghann

leoghann Bit poster

Ok, after trying to actually use something provided by Parallels Tools, I see that they were, in fact, very broken and needed to be reinstalled after the kernel upgrade. (Test before you post lesson re-learned.)

The high CPU usage remains, but the Tools did reinstall OK.

11. JP_7

JP_7 Bit poster

I have tried the same procedure but when I type patch -p1 <patch filename> nothing happens, is like is waiting something, any thoughts about what I might be doing wrong ? Thanks

Sharjeela likes this.
  12. leoghann

leoghann Bit poster

I believe there's a typo there. Try this:
    Code:
    patch -p1 < <patch filename>
    Note the angle bracket/redirect before the file name.

13. ClemensO

ClemensO Bit poster

Any idea why it isn't working for me? Applying the patch works but when I run the installer, the same error is there.. "prl_tg not found".

14. ClemensO

ClemensO Bit poster

(damn can't edit messages, its 2022) I'm using parallels 17 on a MacBook M1.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2022
  15. Sharjeela

Sharjeela Bit poster

Okay, so after actually attempting to use some Parallels Tools, I discovered that they were seriously broken and required a reinstall following the kernel upgrade.