Error Installing Windows 11 ARM Updates

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by TravisA4, Jul 3, 2022.

Tags:
  1. TravisA4

TravisA4 Bit poster

I have been trying to install Windows 11 updates on my M1 Mac using Parallels and I keep getting errors. My original install of Windows eventually broke due to a Window update failing and not being able to fix it. Eventually, I rolled back to the initial snapshot after I installed W11 for the first time. I am attempting to install Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.25151.1010 (rs_prerelease). When the update downloads and installs, I have to reboot my machine. It then takes me to a screen where it completes the feature update. The screen says my computer may restart multiple times. When my machine restarts the first time, it exits the Parallels VM completely and I have to relaunch the machine. It then undoes the changes it makes, and I have to download and install again. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I am in the Insider Program for Windows 11 ARM and it has been a nightmare trying to install updates on Parallels.

I have also tried to install the updates manually and through PowerShell with no success. Any help is appreciated.

2. TravisA4

TravisA4 Bit poster

I figured out this issue. I had to run updates on my Mac before this worked normally. I had to upgrade from Monterey 12.1 to Monterey 12.4 and then the updates on Parallels Windows 11 ARM worked. I assume this is due to compatibility with Parallels and/or Parallels Tools. I'll leave this up for anyone with a similar problem.

3. Asish

Asish Staff Member

Hello @TravisA4, We are glad that you have figured this out. Thanks for sharing the troubleshooting steps that you performed to resolve this issue. We appreciate your effort and consideration.

4. dumas1

dumas1 Bit poster

I've the exact same issue trying to update Windows ARM insider, through parallels 17.
    I'm running Monterey 12.6
    Any tip to be able to update Win 11 ?
    Thanks

5. RickeyH

RickeyH Bit poster

I have been having the same issues installing two different ARM based updates on my Win 11 VM. Using the latest parallels 18 and just upgraded to Ventura to see if that would have an impact and it did not. I tried other suggested solutions from other sites about removing the TPM and that did not have an effect either.

6. RickeyH

RickeyH Bit poster

Quick update... the update finally installed... The only thing I did different after messing with the TPM is I restored my image from a snapshot I took before starting and, just on a whim, I kept clicking in the window in case the inactivity suspend feature was somehow having an affect during the install. Very strange issue and no idea what exactly triggered the success finally.

7. dumas1

dumas1 Bit poster

Thanks RickeyH, not sure to fully understand how you finally succeeded in updating, will try again by removing TPM first.