Error Installing Windows 11 ARM Updates

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by TravisA4, Jul 3, 2022.

Tags:
  1. TravisA4

TravisA4 Bit Poster

I have been trying to install Windows 11 updates on my M1 Mac using Parallels and I keep getting errors. My original install of Windows eventually broke due to a Window update failing and not being able to fix it. Eventually, I rolled back to the initial snapshot after I installed W11 for the first time. I am attempting to install Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.25151.1010 (rs_prerelease). When the update downloads and installs, I have to reboot my machine. It then takes me to a screen where it completes the feature update. The screen says my computer may restart multiple times. When my machine restarts the first time, it exits the Parallels VM completely and I have to relaunch the machine. It then undoes the changes it makes, and I have to download and install again. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I am in the Insider Program for Windows 11 ARM and it has been a nightmare trying to install updates on Parallels.

I have also tried to install the updates manually and through PowerShell with no success. Any help is appreciated.

2. TravisA4

TravisA4 Bit Poster

I figured out this issue. I had to run updates on my Mac before this worked normally. I had to upgrade from Monterey 12.1 to Monterey 12.4 and then the updates on Parallels Windows 11 ARM worked. I assume this is due to compatibility with Parallels and/or Parallels Tools. I'll leave this up for anyone with a similar problem.

3. Asish@Parallels

Asish@Parallels Staff Member

Hello @TravisA4, We are glad that you have figured this out. Thanks for sharing the troubleshooting steps that you performed to resolve this issue. We appreciate your effort and consideration.

4. rachelg2

rachelg2 Bit Poster

In this scenario, we would suggest you to perform these methods and check if that helps.

Step 1: Run the Troubleshooter

Select the Start button, and then select Settings> System > Troubleshoot > Other troubleshooters, and then from the list select Windows Update > Run the troubleshooter.

Step 2: Run the SFC.

Click on the Start button, Type CMD.

Right click on CMD and select Run as Administrator.

Type "sfc /scannow" without quotes and hit Enter.

After the scan, restart the computer.

Now check for the issue.

Step 3: Run the DISM Tool.

Click on the Start button, Type CMD.

Right click on CMD and select Run as Administrator.

In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:

To close the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

Step 4: Perform software clean boot

If the issue persists, then try booting your PC in clean boot. Refer to the article on How to perform a clean boot in Windows

If performing a clean boot fixes the issue then, please refer to the section How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot to check which program is causing the issue.

This may help you,
    Rachel Gomez