No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by NicolaC5, Jun 16, 2022.

1. NicolaC5

NicolaC5 Bit poster

Hi all,
    Although I only use Parallels to run a couple of Windows-only apps for work, a while ago I started getting the following error after logging in:
    "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware"
    I've not changed anything in the installation, in fact. I've updated both Mac OS and Windows, other than that, I've not installed any new software on the virtual machine.
    Did anyone get this message other than me? What should I do?
    Thanks,
    Nicola

2. Nazeemabanu@P

Nazeemabanu@P Moderator

Hello @NicolaC5, you are receiving the error message while working on any specific application on Windows virtual machine? If yes, please let us know more details regarding the same for further assistance. Also, let us know the version of Parallels Desktop for Mac and Windows. Requesting you to refer to this link - How does Parallels Desktop for Mac work with Mac video cards? once. Thanks.

3. NicolaC5

NicolaC5 Bit poster

Hi,
    No, get this error once logged in after booting the VM.
    I'm running Parallels v17.1.4 on Mac OS 12.4.
    The link does not describe my setup, my video card uses shared memory.
    Thanks,
    Nicola

4. Nazeemabanu@P

Nazeemabanu@P Moderator

Thank you for your reply @NicolaC5 , Please help us with a screenshot of the error message and let us know do you have an Intel Mac or M1 Mac? Thanks.

5. NicolaC5

NicolaC5 Bit poster

Running 2,9 GHz Intel Core i7 quad-core.
    Error message below:

upload_2022-7-14_10-9-36.jpeg

6. JeffreyJ8

JeffreyJ8 Bit poster

I have the same issue. 2.3 Ghz i9, with Radeon Pro 560X 4GB. Same error message upon Windows startup in Parallels.

7. Bennyboos

Bennyboos Bit poster

I also have this issue. 2.9GHz I9 with Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB.
    It only started happening about 3 or 4 months ago.
    Had hoped that upgrading to parallels 18 might resolve it but no.

8. AndrewB58

AndrewB58 Bit poster

I also have this issue as well.

9. RJM

RJM Bit poster

Parallels seems to be ignoring this one... I'm having this issue too iMac Pro, 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon, Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB

10. AndrewB58

AndrewB58 Bit poster

I reached out to tech support and they provided the answer that worked for me:
    "Thank you for contacting the Parallels Support Team. We appreciate your time and effort in contacting us and we will do our best to respond in a timely manner.

The error "No AMD graphics driver is installed" occurs on systems with AMD Radeon software installed but lacks any AMD graphics chip. For Parallels Desktop virtual machines, only the MacOS has direct access to the Radeon card and Parallels relies on it's own driver for graphics acceleration. The only case where this software is required is if you are running Windows off a bootcamp partition.

We have some steps you can try to resolve this issue. Before proceeding please create a snapshot of the virtual machine by clicking on the Parallels icon on the Mac menu bar, click on Action - Take a Snapshot, then click on Ok. This will create an image of your current virtual machine which we can use in case we need to revert it to a previous state. If you are running Windows in Parallels from a Bootcamp partition, you can ignore this step.

If you are running Windows solely under Parallels Desktop, you can try to uninstall the AMD Radeon software listed under Programs and Features. You can access Programs and Features by following the steps below:

1. Hold down the command key or windows key and press the R button.
    2. Type the command below and press Ok:
    appwiz.cpl
    3. Locate any entries related to AMD Software / AMD Radeon, select and click uninstall.
    4. Restart the Windows virtual machine to check if you are still getting the same error message.

If you are running Windows from BootCamp, your option is to either:

A. Ignore the popup as this will retain the drivers for the AMD Radeon Pro 5500M when you are running Windows natively under Bootcamp and will not affect the performance of the virtual machine aside the popup that shows up on startup.
    B. Uninstall the AMD Radeon software. This may affect how you use Windows under bootcamp. You can try the steps below to uninstall the AMD Software:

1. Hold down the command key or windows key and press the R button.
    2. Type the command below and press Ok:
    appwiz.cpl
    3. Locate any entries related to AMD Software / AMD Radeon, select and click uninstall.
    4. Restart the Windows virtual machine to check if you are still getting the same error message.

If these steps did not resolve your issue or you have further concerns or question you can reply to this email."

11. RJM

RJM Bit poster

Thanks Andrew! I do occasionally run in BootCamp, so I'll just ignore it then