Allow macOS VM to be created from IPSW

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by MichalM.Mac, Feb 1, 2022.

1. MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac Bit poster

Thank you so much for implementing macOS virtualization via Apple frarmwork on Apple Silicon!

Currently it seems there is only the option to download the latest macOS version and create VM from that. Would it be possible to add ability to create macOS 12+ VM from IPSW file provided by the user?

Use case. Latest version of 12.2. We would like to test something specifically on 12.0.1 and 12.1.

MatthewR20 likes this.
  2. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hey @MichalM.Mac, thanks a lot for your kind words, much appreciated! Yes, it's possible to use a local IPSW file for a new VM. We have updated the KB article recently with instructions on how to do it, please see the "Manual Installation" section at https://kb.parallels.com/en/125561.

MichalM.Mac likes this.
  3. MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac Bit poster

This is great! Thank you :)

Dmitry@Parallels likes this.
  4. MarkJ11

MarkJ11 Bit poster

With Parallels 18 using the command string in terminal:
    /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_macvm_create ~/Downloads/UniversalMac_13.0_22A5321d_Restore.ipsw ~/Parallels/macOS\ Ventura.macvm --disksize 268435456000
    I get nothing. When I select the Enter key, the terminal throws up a new line prompt: no error, no feedback, nothing.
    MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021), M1 Max, 64 GB RAM/4 TB SSD

5. Dmitry@Parallels

Hey @MarkJ11, I bet you are running macOS 12 or older, unfortunately, it's not possible to create a macOS 13 VM on an older host macOS version. If I am mistaken, please generate and send us a technical report and we will investigate.

6. Brian33

Brian33 Bit poster

Create OSX 12 vm and upgrade to 13 in VM.

7. PeterL42

PeterL42 Bit poster

hi
    I have the similar problem in that I get no response from terminal on the command.
    I am running 13.1 Mac OS for both the VM and the computer OS
    I thought I follow the instructions but nothing, you enter on the keyboard and no error no file no nothing.
    The point of this is to change the size of the drive before its created as apparently that's the only way to do this, at this point.
    Running M1 Max 13.1 Mac OS
    I would like to thank you in advanced for the help.

/Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_macvm_create ~/Downloads/UniversalMac_13.1_22C65_Restore.ipsw /Volumes/T7 Shield/macOS.macvm --disksize 322122547200

Attached Files:

8. JoeM32

JoeM32 Bit poster

yes i get the same silence issue when calling prl_macvm_create command.
    But note, i'm running Monterey 12.6. can prl_macvm_create run on Monterey? The KB article under manual instructions seems to imply this will only work on Ventura ( https://kb.parallels.com/en/125561 ), i will try upgrading to Ventura and try again. Although i see above post from PeterL42 says he is running 13.1, so will see.

9. JoeM32

JoeM32 Bit poster

actually, to reply to my own question, i was running Parallels from the AppStore. So removed that and tried installing the download of the website for Parallels standard - now the prl_macvm_create command works fine.

Adeboye Adeotan likes this.
  10. A__29

A__29 Bit poster

Anyone else get this resolved?
    Running 13.4 and wanted to use the ipsw for Sonoma beta to create a VM.
    As above the command just returns to the prompt.
    I have confirmed this has worked for another user so the basics are correct.
    Also reinstalled app from Parallels website.

11. Dmitry@Parallels

Hey @A__29, we are currently verifying if it's possible to install a macOS VM with OS version higher than is running on the Mac, e.g. macOS 14 VM on macOS 13.4 host. Please stay tuned for updates.

What command exactly has not worked for you? This command should return you an IPSW image compatible with your Mac:
    /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_macvm_create --getipswurl

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
  12. A__29

A__29 Bit poster

Got it working.
    I had the IPSW from the Apple Dev portal so it was just the second command that should create the macvm file.
    It just reverted to the command prompt after typing it and pressing enter.

However, someone on Macrumors forums suggested insulating Xcode and the additional Command Line tools. After I did that, the mccvm creation command ran as intended and then started up as a VM in Parallels.
    I still cannot sign in with an Apple ID, but I am aware that is a separate issue.

Attached Files:

13. Pavel Merkulov

Pavel Merkulov Parallels Team

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

After our tests, we found that it is possible to create a virtual machine macOS 14, if the host OS is at least macOS 13.3.1 and higher. Also in some cases you need to install Xcode 15 beta

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
  14. Pavel Merkulov

Here are the steps to install macOS Sonoma 14 to a virtual machine on a Mac with Apple silicon:

1. Make sure that HostOS 13.3.1 or higher
    2. Download a macOS 14 image: https://developer.apple.com/service...mages/UniversalMac_14.0_23A5257q_Restore.ipsw
    3. Download Device Support for macOS 14 beta package from developer.apple.com.
    4. Start the Terminal and execute the command below:
    /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_macvm_create <path_to_ipsw> <path_to_macVM>

e.g.
    /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_macvm_create /Users/pavel/Downloads/UniversalMac_14.0_23A5257q_Restore.ipsw ~/Parallels/macOS14.macvm

5. Wait for the installation process to complete.
    6. Launch the virtual machine by double-clicking from the virtual machine folder

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
  15. DavidN11

DavidN11 Bit poster

I followed steps 1-3 but am still unable to create the virtual machine. When running the command from step 4, it does nothing - no errors, no VM created.

16. Pavel Merkulov

17. DavidN11

DavidN11 Bit poster

I'm just getting around to trying this again.. I followed the instructions in that article, and the step for creating the vm still does nothing - no errors, no messages, no vm created

18. Pavel Merkulov

if you have already tried to create a macOS 14 Sonoma virtual machine but had some issues with it, remove or rename the previous file of the macOS Sonoma 14 virtual machine with the .macvm extension in the folder where your virtual machines are stored.

19. DavidN11

DavidN11 Bit poster

I haven't been able to get to the point where it creates anything at all, so there's nothing to delete or rename.