Allow macOS VM to be created from IPSW

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by MichalM.Mac, Feb 1, 2022.

1. MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac Bit Poster

Thank you so much for implementing macOS virtualization via Apple frarmwork on Apple Silicon!

Currently it seems there is only the option to download the latest macOS version and create VM from that. Would it be possible to add ability to create macOS 12+ VM from IPSW file provided by the user?

Use case. Latest version of 12.2. We would like to test something specifically on 12.0.1 and 12.1.

2. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Staff Member

Hey @MichalM.Mac, thanks a lot for your kind words, much appreciated! Yes, it's possible to use a local IPSW file for a new VM. We have updated the KB article recently with instructions on how to do it, please see the "Manual Installation" section at https://kb.parallels.com/en/125561.

MichalM.Mac likes this.
  3. MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac Bit Poster

This is great! Thank you :)

Dmitry@Parallels likes this.
  4. MarkJ11

MarkJ11

With Parallels 18 using the command string in terminal:
    /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_macvm_create ~/Downloads/UniversalMac_13.0_22A5321d_Restore.ipsw ~/Parallels/macOS\ Ventura.macvm --disksize 268435456000
    I get nothing. When I select the Enter key, the terminal throws up a new line prompt: no error, no feedback, nothing.
    MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021), M1 Max, 64 GB RAM/4 TB SSD

5. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Staff Member

Hey @MarkJ11, I bet you are running macOS 12 or older, unfortunately, it's not possible to create a macOS 13 VM on an older host macOS version. If I am mistaken, please generate and send us a technical report and we will investigate.