SQL Server Update to Install on Windows for Arm

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Mundford, May 13, 2021.

1. LucaR7

LucaR7 Bit poster

Thanks, this is not good news unfortunately. As a VS2019 .net 4.7 + Sql Server 2019 developer, I was really looking forward to upgrading my current iMac 27" 2016, but it looks like a long way to go atm.

2. JESUSC5

JESUSC5 Bit poster

Amigo aun tienes el archivo que me puedas ayudar enviando, mediante wetransfer?

3. UdityanshuG

UdityanshuG Bit poster

Hello, I am trying to setup SQL Server 2019 Setup on
    OS - Windows11_InsiderPreview_Client_ARM64_en-us_22579
    From the links mentioned in the threads, I have tried downloading every Cumulative Update Package (10, 12, 14, 15) for SQL Server 2019, but none of them work.
    [​IMG]

4. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

Hello MarcosW, Please refer to the knowledge base https://kb.parallels.com/9058 article to generate a technical report Id. Thanks.

5. carlosa24

carlosa24 Bit poster

Thanks for that, with 2014 32-bit works for me.

6. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

7. MarcosH2

MarcosH2 Bit poster

8. JohannesH7

JohannesH7 Bit poster

The non-existent support from Parallels. I expect active help until the problem is solved. This is what I pay for. But nothing happens. I have cancelled my subscription and all other customers should do the same. Parallels Desktop has become useless to me on the M1.

9. LeslieJ

LeslieJ Bit poster

I'm also in this situation but I realise that this is no fault of Parallels! You should turn your anger towards Microsoft for not supporting this newer version of SQL-server on Windows for ARM. Unfortunately it's futile to complain to MS and the only thing we can do is wait. I myself are looking for an Intel Mac to solve the problem temporarily.

10. ThomasL39

ThomasL39 Bit poster

Mirror above posters with similar significant issue.

11. StephenW14

StephenW14 Bit poster

I think I would be ok with Sql Server LocalDB working correctly for development. I seem to be able to connect to localdb from within SSMS and also Visual Studio server explorer, but EF Core Migrations can't seem to find the server when running update-database. Anyone else encounter this?

12. AlejandroM7

AlejandroM7 Bit poster

I have an M1 Mac with windows 11 installed. I tried following the instructions but the install fails:

TITLE: SQL Server Setup failure.
    ------------------------------

SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:

Setup encountered a failure while running job UpdateResult.

Error code 0x876E0003.

For help, click: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?Lin...l&EvtID=50000&EvtType=0x448E4A06%400x96D07230

BUTTONS:

OK

Any pointers on how to get it installed? Is it even possible?

13. ErnestJ

ErnestJ Bit poster

For those still struggling to install MS SQL 2019 on Windows 11 I've found a way with a combinationa of things posted on this forum.
    Steps:

1. Obtain Windows 10 build 21354 following instructions on this link (thanks MarcosH2) https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsins...dows_10_arm_insider_preview_vhdx_file_solved/
    This step is very important as no other builds worked for me.

2. Install Windows 10. Important - select to configure VM before installing and remove 'TPM Chip' from Hardware as it's not compatible with Windows 10.

3. Follow instructions on installing and updating SQL 2019 from the very first post on this thread (thanks Mundford) - I first installed SQL 2019 developers edition (free) which failed as usual, then updated with both links provided, then installed SQL 2019 again and it worked!

4. Update to Windows 11. Windows updates didn't work for me, so I first updated to latest Windows 10 build available (21390) using ISO image.
    Important - you have to add TPM Chip back or Windows 11 won't install. Again I couldn't update to Windows 11 from updates, so I got Windows 11 build 22000 ISO and updated without problems.

5. After upgrading to Windows 11 updates are working fine again so updating to very latest build right now. SQL Management Studio still works no issues.

Hopefully this will help someone as well.

14. ErnestJ

ErnestJ Bit poster

OK, some bad news. While I was able to install SQL 2019 as per above, SQL Server Network Configuration node is missing from Configuration Manager so can't connect from my apps.

Couldn't find any solutions on internet either :(

15. Flinky

Flinky Member

Has anyone already tried Parallels 18 and SQL-Server 2019 on M1??
    They mention SQL-Server under "lightning fast"

Attached Files:

16. ErnestJ

ErnestJ Bit poster

What a great timing re Parallels 18, hopefully SQL 2019 installs without issues.

17. NMENDES

NMENDES Bit poster

I have tried and the installation failed (SQL 2019 Developer Edition)

18. ErnestJ

ErnestJ Bit poster

I guess they didn't specifically state which SQL it is, otherwise would be a false advertising.

19. AlanR9

AlanR9 Bit poster

I cant Download VHDX "Windows 10 build 21354", HTML code is not the same of the instructions:(. Please could you download it, and upload it to Google Drive. please please

20. ErnestJ

ErnestJ Bit poster

If you follow reddit link you will see that someone already uploaded so you can use that. Either way SQL Server doesn't work so not sure if worth the effort?