Disable automatic restart by Parallels Tools installation

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by Esko, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Esko

Esko Bit poster

Don't hazard my work.

2. alev

alev Parallels Team

We are doing it when we can, but most of the time fixes in drivers require Tools update that require Windows restart.

Professional users may disable automatic restart and only update Tools when they are ready.
    To do so, in Pro or Business Edition, go to virtual machine configuration > Options > More Options pane and disable "Update Parallels Tools automatically"

Esko likes this.
  3. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hello @Esko, thank you so much for your feedback. Unfortunately, we cannot stop updating Parallels Tools in Windows as we constantly bring fixes to graphics, network, integration, and other drivers. However, in Parallels Desktop version 18, we have changed the approach to Parallels Tools installation in a way that Parallels Tools update will be installed upon Windows restart to prevent unwanted interruptions. If you don't want to update the Tools right after you resume your VM, simply click "Postpone" and continue working with Windows until you are ready to restart. Please try the new experience and let me know if it works better for you. Thank you!

4. GarrettB5

GarrettB5 Junior Member

Parallels Tools is saying I need to restart immediately after all windows updates lately. Can't whatever drivers need to be updated be included in the Windows update or na? It's pretty annoying.