Nested virtualization in macOS Big Sur

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by JamesF21, Apr 6, 2021.

1. JamesF21

JamesF21 Bit poster

Hi,
    I need nested virtualization to be enabled for a macOS Big Sur virtual machine running under macOS Big Sur. I am a developer and I require the usage of Docker for Mac in my working environment, I use the Pro Edition.
    There was a suggestion from @rkulikov to use a Boot Flags argument in the VM's "Boot Flags" options here: https://forum.parallels.com/threads/docker-for-mac-on-macos-parallels-vm.342891/
    However, this doesn't work. Docker still says my CPU is unsupported.
    Also, on a side note, I cannot use Parallels Hypervisor. It asks me to approve the extension in the Security panel, however no prompt to allow the extension is actually available when I open it. I'm not sure if this is related.
    Cheers

2. PhillipS6

PhillipS6 Bit poster

I am using the Ninox database and wanted to use Mac Big Sur VMs under macOS Big Sur but the VMs appear very unreliable. I have rebuilt them with Parallels guidance and 2 of the three now start but do not boot to a useable state . All you can do is shut down, restart or sleep. This is very frsutrating as it largely devalues the hardware investments made.

3. gtaranti

gtaranti Bit poster

Same here....
    Exactly like @JamesF21 says...
    I cannot use the parallels supervisor, b/c it asks to approve an extension but there is no approval request in System Preferences, even after a reboot.

I'm running the beta edition of Parallels 17.0.0 (51277) Technical Preview with guest of Windows 10 Arm on Mac mini M1.
    Until this is resolved I cannot decide to buy a subscription.

4. SteffenM4

SteffenM4 Bit poster

Still a problem, I think.
    On a brand new iMac with Monterey I installed Parallels 17 (Pro Version 17.1.0 (51516)), cerated a Monterey VM from the rescue partition, added the boot flag but Docker refuses to start (CPU is unsupported). Created a BigSur VM, same thing. Created a Catalina VM, boot flag works. So now I work with Docker in Catalina. Would be really nice to use a newer OS in the VM though.

5. Paya

Paya Junior Member

Is there a fix yet? I am trying to run Android Emulator on MacOS guest and it won't run.

6. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    For us to further investigate the technical issue that you are facing with Android Emulator, kindly provide us with the following information:
    1. Detailed explanation, with all steps by steps followed, to reproduce the issue.
    2. Screenshot of error message you are receiving (if any).
    3. Collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this email.
    Thanks

7. Paya

Paya Junior Member

So I cannot run an ARM-based Android Emulator at all, and I don't have a good way to diagnose what happens. Android Studio simply throws an error dialog "The emulator process for AVD Pixel_6_API_33 has terminated." and that's all I get:
    [​IMG]

For x86-based emulator, I followed these steps:
    1) Install Android Studio v2022.2.1 Patch 1
    2) Use Parallels hypervisor
    3) Use "kernel.nvmx.enable=1" boot flag
    4) Create this device:
    - Pixel 6, x86_64 image, API level 33 (Tiramisu)
    - Use software-based graphics
    5) The device will now show a boot-up screen with a big G logo

So after step 5, I have to wait 10+ minutes before the emulator boots to the Android home screen. At which point it just keeps popping up repeatedly the following dialog:
    [​IMG]
    And these dialogs vary, one time it is about system process, then "System UI", then something else. It is impossible to use the emulator at this point because dismissing the dialog takes couple of seconds, at which point a new dialog pops up immediately. So I am stuck in an endless popup dialog loop. The emulator is simply way too slow to be usable in any way.

So what I naturally tried to do was to switch the renderer from software to hardware-based. However, this results in getting the exact same crash dialog as the one above for ARM-based emulators. Just a dialog pops up and the start of the emulator fails.

So anyway, the emulator is completely unusable. The only working way way via 86 image + software renderer is so slow it might as well not even be an option. All other avenues crash. Are you seeing a different behavior on an Intel-based MacBook?