I can't install sql server management with windows 11 - M1 // Please help

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by faisal3, Jun 7, 2023.

1. faisal3

faisal3 Bit poster

2. Troy T.

Troy T. Bit poster

Best Answer
    You can absolutely install and run either SQL Server 2019 or SQL Server 2022 Express or Developer Edition along with SQL Server Management Studio v19 within a Windows 11 on ARM installation in Parallels on Apple Silicon Macs. Since SQL Server Management Studio 2019 is 32-bit I had zero issues downloading it directly from Microsoft's website and installing it but SQL Server 2019 Express and Developer Editions as well as SQL Server 2022 Express and Developer Editions wouldn't install. The installer would download and inevitably choke. I searched the web and was starting to think going with a Docker style solution or installing UTM and going the x84-x64 emulation route which would have really hurt performance because of the emulation layer and then I stumbled upon this GitHub repository that contains both batch files that you can execute from the command line as well as the underlying PowerShell scripts they invoke that will download and install SQL Server 2019 Express, SQL Server 2019 Developer Edition, SQL Server 2022 Express or SQL Server 2022 Developer Edition on Windows on ARM installations. Just download and appropriate batch file and powershell script, put them in a temporary folder then open a command prompt as the administrator and execute the batch file. It will download the installation media for the desired version of SQL Server for you and also download and install SQL Server Management Studio 2019 as well.

I wanted to do a clean install to avoid any errors so I removed SQL Server Management Studio v19 that I had previously downloaded so the scripts could download and install it and not run into any errors along the way. Use the links below to download the appropriate batch file and its associated Power Shell script that it invokes for the version of SQL that you want installed. If you're comfortable running Power Shell scripts you don't need the batch file but if you're not then download the batch file and it's matching Power Shell script to the same temporay folder and run the batch file as an administrator and you'll be good to go.

https://github.com/jimm98y/MSSQLEXPRESS-M1-Install/tree/main/src

MennoE1 and DyanM like this.
  3. Pavel Merkulov

Pavel Merkulov Parallels Team

Hello,

As a result of a number of similar cases we've had, we've performed various tests on a physical Windows Arm PC, and we had to conclude and there doesn't appear to be a way to successfully run SQL Server products (including SQL Server Express/Compact etc.) on a Windows Arm machine, physical or virtual.

These results are consistent with the information that can be found on the Internet in regard to running Microsoft Server on Windows ARM.

As a workaround, you can perform the steps from the article: https://kb.parallels.com/en/129699

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  4. faisal3

faisal3 Bit poster

If sql server only works on Windows 10, I want to download it instead of Windows 11

In Parallel, I can't download Windows 10, can you help me?

5. Pavel Merkulov

Windows 10 is no longer supported on Arm computers. Also the version of Windows does not depend on it, sql server does not work on Arm architecture computers.

6. faisal3

faisal3 Bit poster

I am in desperate need of sql server

Do you have any information when the sql server will be supported on Arm?

7. Pavel Merkulov

We advise you to contact Microsoft support team to inquire about when the support for Windows ARM is going to be implemented.

8. GregC13

GregC13 Bit poster

I'm in the same boat. I need to be running SQL Server in windows 11 for my Geophysical software which is windows based to run properly. If you find a solution to this in the future, please post clear instructions on how to do it here for future users with the same problem.

9. Carlos Lapao

Carlos Lapao Parallels Team

Any problems in running it in docker? you can choose to run it in docker and still access it from any other VM or from the host itself

10. JoseA48

JoseA48 Bit poster

do you try with SQL Server 2014 ?? i try with 2022,2020,2016, and amazing with 2014 works fine

11. Troy T.

Troy T. Bit poster

Best Answer
    You can absolutely install and run either SQL Server 2019 or SQL Server 2022 Express or Developer Edition along with SQL Server Management Studio v19 within a Windows 11 on ARM installation in Parallels on Apple Silicon Macs. Since SQL Server Management Studio 2019 is 32-bit I had zero issues downloading it directly from Microsoft's website and installing it but SQL Server 2019 Express and Developer Editions as well as SQL Server 2022 Express and Developer Editions wouldn't install. The installer would download and inevitably choke. I searched the web and was starting to think going with a Docker style solution or installing UTM and going the x84-x64 emulation route which would have really hurt performance because of the emulation layer and then I stumbled upon this GitHub repository that contains both batch files that you can execute from the command line as well as the underlying PowerShell scripts they invoke that will download and install SQL Server 2019 Express, SQL Server 2019 Developer Edition, SQL Server 2022 Express or SQL Server 2022 Developer Edition on Windows on ARM installations. Just download and appropriate batch file and powershell script, put them in a temporary folder then open a command prompt as the administrator and execute the batch file. It will download the installation media for the desired version of SQL Server for you and also download and install SQL Server Management Studio 2019 as well.

I wanted to do a clean install to avoid any errors so I removed SQL Server Management Studio v19 that I had previously downloaded so the scripts could download and install it and not run into any errors along the way. Use the links below to download the appropriate batch file and its associated Power Shell script that it invokes for the version of SQL that you want installed. If you're comfortable running Power Shell scripts you don't need the batch file but if you're not then download the batch file and it's matching Power Shell script to the same temporay folder and run the batch file as an administrator and you'll be good to go.

https://github.com/jimm98y/MSSQLEXPRESS-M1-Install/tree/main/src

MennoE1 and DyanM like this.
  12. Troy T.

Troy T. Bit poster

The above post should have said "x86-x64" and not "x84-x64". I apologize but as soon as I wanted to post this as quickly as possible to let people know there's an easy way to do it without the need for Docker or an emulation solution. The scripts I linked to above worked like a charm for me!