Copy and Paste keeps stopping mac host to mac VM

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by jonasg4, Mar 9, 2024.

1. jonasg4

jonasg4 Bit poster

Hi guys, had this problem for a while so I thought I'd ask aorund:

I am using an Apple M1 Pro as the host running MacOS 14.2.1. The VM is also a MacOS 14.2.1, but the problem has been around before this version.
    When I start the VM I can copy and paste between host and VM. Then I suspend and resume or otherwise let time pass (I am not sure what the exact trigger is) and copy and paste is no longer synchronised between the host and the VM. I never have this problem with any Windows VMs. It only happens with Mac VMs and the only way I have found to fix it is via a VM restart.
    Anyone encountered this? Is there a fix or workaround?

Thanks for your time...

2. jonasg4

jonasg4 Bit poster

nobody has seen this behaviour before?

3. AlexanderG17

AlexanderG17 Bit poster

I'm seeing this as well, but I'm having issues with Parallels Tools no installing correctly.
    They could be related.

4. JoeyF2

JoeyF2

I am having this problem as well and it's really annoying.
    I am trying to copy from my host to my VM. I just figured out that if I copy from the VM and paste into my host, it starts working again. Can't say it will work for everything, but worth a mention.

5. AlbertM14

AlbertM14

I''m also having this problem. I've just updated to Parallels 19 Pro for mac and copy paste (bidireccionally from Mac to Windows) stopped working. It worked perfectly in the previous Parallels version. I'm running on a Macbook Air M2.

6. YingkaiL

YingkaiL

Hi everyone, I have the same issue here.
    M1 Chip with macOS 14.5 as the host and macOS 14.5 for the virtual machine. I have installed the toolbox but the shared clipboard never work :(

JonW7 likes this.
  7. JonW7

JonW7

Same problem here. I'm on the latest version of Parallels on an M2 with MacOS 14.6.1. Copy/paste first works when I create the macros VM, but stops working after a restart of the VM.

8. BrianP19

BrianP19 Bit poster

Same problem here. M2 Mac Mini with macOS VMs. Copy/Paste stops working if I restart OR just suspend the vm. When I resume, C/P does not work. If I reinstall Parallels Tools and reboot, it works again but only until the next Suspend. I confirmed the "Parallels International GmbH" is enabled as a Login Item on each of the vm Mac System Settings. I also tried deleting the /Library/Parallels Guest Tools/ folder and reinstalling Parallels Tools again (as advised by Parallels Support) but the problem still existing. (for the record I'm running Parallels v 19.4.1 on Mac OS 14.4)

9. BrianP19

BrianP19 Bit poster

... I also tried updating the vm from macOS 14.5 to 14.6.1 but that did not solve the problem.

10. RossJ1

RossJ1 Bit poster

I used the following commands to remove everything I could regarding parallels out of my mac. Then reinstalled everything and now it is working fine.
    sudo rm -rf /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app
    sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.parallels.*
    sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.parallels.desktop.*
    sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Logs/parallels
    sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Parallels
    sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/com.parallels.desktop*
    sudo rm -rf /Library/Preferences/Parallels
    sudo rm -rf /Library/Logs/parallels.log
    sudo rm -rf /private/var/db/Parallels
    sudo rm -rf ~/Parallels
    sudo reboot