0 for 2 on Windows XP Media Edition

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by madjack, Dec 29, 2006.

1. madjack

madjack Bit poster

(I hope this isn't a duplicate message I posted, but can't find now.)

I got my wife a Gateway MX6453 notebook computer for Christmas. It has an AMD 64x2 Turion chip with 2GB RAM and a ATI Radion XPRESS 200M Series video card.

The first app I installed on it was Parallels. Then did a graphic install of Fedora 6 which went fine. However on boot up, I got a Kernel panic message that seemed to be related to AGP video.

I figured the issue was a Linux video driver, so I installed Windows Media Center as a Guest OS. Again, the install went fine, but the system froze on boot up after the install. Booted in safe mode and the last driver it attempted to load before freezing was agpCPQ.sys.

Any suggestions for fixing this?

I've downloaded VMWare 5.5 to see if it has the same issue.

TIA.

Jack

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  2. madjack

madjack Bit poster

Update: The Windows Media Center install went about the same in VMWare, except instead of hanging, I get a BSoD (Blue Screen of Death) after the agpCPQ.sys driver is loaded. (I've since learned the error may not be the result of the agpCPQ.sys driver loading, but what happens next. Some forums suggest the culprit is ACPI, but I don't see a way to affect that in BIOS).

However, Fedora 6 Linux installed fine and booted normally under VMWare 5.5.3 . In Parallels, I got a Kernel panic (Linux'es equivalent to the Windows BSoD) when I started Fedora.

If only all of this wasn't so #%$@ hard!

Jack

3. jridder

jridder Bit poster

Booting problem

You may be experiencing a problem with vt-x support. Try disabling it and I bet you get Fedora 6 to install.

Jeff