10.13 (High Sierra) guest on 10.12 (Sierra) host unusably slow

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by johnrellis, Oct 6, 2017.

1. johnrellis

johnrellis Junior Member

A MacOS 10.13 (High Sierra) guest running on a 10.12 (Sierra) host is unusably slow on my system. Keystrokes to terminal take a couple of seconds to echo, and a Tab to complete a filename can take 5-10 seconds. Loading a small Xcode 9 project can take a minute. When High Sierra first boots, it can take a minute after the login password box appears before it echos keyboard input.

A large Windows 10 guest works just fine. So far, the upgrade to Parallels 13 has been a complete waste of money -- I did it to create High Sierra VMs.

Parallels Desktop 13.1.0
    Host: MacOS 10.12.6, MacBook Pro Retina 15-in Mid-2015, 16 GB, SSD
    Guest: MacOS 10.13, 4 processors, 4 GB

2. DanP1

DanP1 Bit poster

I have the same problem, and have been working with Parallels 2nd-level support on this. No solution yet.

3. johnrellis

johnrellis Junior Member

Thanks for the update -- let us know if you make any progress.

4. CharlesB6

CharlesB6 Bit poster

My Win 10 and my Sierra and Sierra HS are slow to the point of I am going to VMWARE and that is pretty bad.

5. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

6. DavidW28

DavidW28 Junior Member

I've got the same issue running Macos High Sierra guest on a Macos High Sierra host. Not usable. I've tride adding unlimited resources, more CPU and more memory (I have plenty) but nothing works. Any solution???

7. DanP1

DanP1 Bit poster

It seems to have been fixed in Parallels Desktop 13.2. But, in 13.1 there is a work-around that Parallels Support sent me:
    -----
    The reason why it was happening is due to the issue with USB 3.0 emulation when the virtual machine using more than 2 GB of memory.

Just in case and below are the steps as a temporary workaround for this issue until the fix is released:

1. Start Parallels Desktop and do not run the virtual machine.
    2. Press cogwheel button near the virtual machine's name to open its configuration.
    3. Go to Hardware > CPU & Memory and change memory to 2048 MB or confirm that the value is set to 2048.
    4. Switch to USB & Bluetooth and expand 'Advanced settings'.
    5. Disable USB 3.0.