10.6.8 MB Pro with XP Pro guest...how to upgrade Desktop 7 for Mac to 2013 Refurb MB

MikeNap

Bit poster
I am presently running Desktop 7 for Mac Parallels on a MacBook Pro from ~ 2007 or so running 10.6.8 and has guest PC XP Pro SP3.

I just bought refurb MB Pro from ~ Oct 2013 (not sure what OSX it's running...assuming Mavericks or version just before that) .

Parallels site says new upgrade versions require higher version than my 10.6.8. But repeated advertisement pop ups on start up (from Parallels) reminds that Desktop 7 version won't run with Mavericks.

I was going to try to use migration utility to move this old MB Pro contents over to new machine, but am concerned if I move the old Parallels onto the new OSX that there will be conflict with that new OSX and Desktop 7 I presently have. Due to running 10.6.8 I cannot apparently upgrade prior to the migration either.

Not sure what to do. Need to keep all old PC stuff/folders/etc. Will have updated each side separately to ext HD prior to trying migration.

I want to upgrade Parallels but not sure how to go about this.
 
Hi,

Please correct me if I am wrong:

Your set:

1. MacBook Pro ~2007 (MAC#1) + Parallels Desktop 7 installed + Mac OS 10.6.8 as Host OS + Windows XP Pro as Guest OS
2. MacBook Pro ~2013 (MAC#2) + presumably Mavericks as Host

If that is true and we assume you goal to migrate everything to MAC#2 from MAC#1, here are the instructions:

1) Remove Parallels Desktop 7 from MAC#1 by using http://kb.parallels.com/en/112189 (Please note, virtual machine won't be affected as the virtual machine = .pvm file in your Documents, which will be migrated later)
2) Migrate MAC#1 to MAC#2 using any utility you prefer
3) on MAC#2 install Parallels Desktop 10: http://kb.parallels.com/en/122647
4) Since your virtual machine migrated along with all other stuff, now you may open it with Parallels Desktop 10 and continue using it.

Please note: it is always recommended to have a back up of the virtual machine's file (.pvm)
By default it is located in /Users/<username>/Documents/Parallels folder and has .pvm extension.
 
Back
Top