12.1 kills ram allocation >8gb for non PRO version?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MacSpanner, Nov 11, 2016.

1. WiseHacker

WiseHacker Bit poster

Talk about irony, it looks as though the link only appears in certain browsers.

2. BennettB

BennettB Bit poster

You don't see this?
    Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 3.04.02 PM.png

3. MichaelB17

MichaelB17 Bit poster

You don't need to put up with being treated poorly. You have options.

You can dual boot to Windows (no need to get a PC). You can also use competitive software. VMware, for example, does everything Parallels does. Some would argue it even does it better. VMware's licensing is actually reasonable too.

4. JoeM1

JoeM1 Bit poster

A similar situation happened in 2005 when Verizon cut previously-advertised features from their V710 cell phone in order to force customers to pay for essentially subscription-based services. Verizon was subject to a class-action lawsuit and lost. It was not a valid defense to later change their advertising to disclose that limitation -- the customers had already transacted business based on the previous information.
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB110557581692624772

How would Parallel's IT department feel if Microsoft rolled out an incremental "point update" that restricted Windows to 1 CPU core, and you'd have to pay a subscription fee to regain use of your previous cores? Would it be OK since you could just stay on the old version of Windows and never take any further security updates? Would it be OK if Microsoft made an obscure notification of this change a year in advance? I don't think so.

tornado267 and Nemensi like this.
  5. HeikkiL

HeikkiL Member

I just got a "Parallels Desktop Users Newsletter, December 2016", which now (after almost month) tells that:

"Parallels Desktop 12 Update 1 Released
    Parallels Desktop 12 Update 1 was released on November 11. It includes the following:
    • Full support for macOS Sierra as both a host OS and guest OS
    • Real Parallels plug-in for macOS Sierra: Optimized Storage
    The new storage features in Sierra ... etc ... "

So even now, after all this sh*tstorm, their marketing decides not to tell their paying customers, that this "Parallels Desktop 12 Update 1" actually REMOVES features, that were in v12.0. Yes, they apparently were there by mistake (by THEIR mistake, not ours), but any honest company would admit their mistake and warn their users about any undocumented side effects. Just when you thought this company couldn't sink any lower...

6. MarkM7

MarkM7 Member

I got the same newsletter.. Really underhand trying to get people to move to the latest update when it removes functionality.

I shall never be buying Parallels again !

tornado267 likes this.
  7. JohnG14

JohnG14 Bit poster

This is how ransomware works. You download a trusted file and boom you have to fork over money to get your system back.
    I can no longer trust Parallels. time for the FTC to go to court.

8. ThomasH13

ThomasH13 Bit poster

I'm trying to understand why the maximum RAM available to guests has changed in the latest update to Parallels for Mac? Previously, up to 16GB RAM was available on my host (Mac OSX, the computer has 24GB RAM). I had a guest with 12GB RAM. After the update, when I'm trying to fire up the guest, I'm told that my version (Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac v12.1.1 41491) is limited to only 8GB RAM. This is an unfair change to make when updating a point release. I've now got less functionality than I did prior to my update.

tornado267 likes this.
  9. ThomasH13

ThomasH13 Bit poster

I see. So I could potentially get a free year of a subscription service, which I would then need to renew annually at some exorbitant price to keep functionality that I've been using for at least two years, or downgrade my VM. Or, as some others have suggested, start looking at other options.
    I guess I've got some thinking to do.

10. ErwinM1

ErwinM1 Bit poster

I am a little baffled / perplexed with my Parallels installation ... today I opened my
    Parallels 12 (purchased 9/26/2016 .... invoice number BKD-73615071619 - cleverbridge reference number 98571305)
    worked perfectly (running XP with 6 processors and 16 gig memory).
    Today I checked for updates and there was one ... which I ran and it installed ....
    Now I start my Parallels 12 which is now Ver 12.1.1 (41491) and it promptly tells me I can not have more that 4 processors or 8 gig of memory ....
    What is going on? Do I have to pay again to get back to what I already paid for a short time ago?
    Please drop me a line / explanation of what I should do next ...
    Thank you ...

11. CatalinT

CatalinT Member

Just wanted to say that my frustration w/ Parallels started @ version 11 when they introduced the same memory and CPU restrictions. I never upgraded from PD10 and since they are not going to support PD10 100% on Sierra I'll switch to VMWare Fusion, they even have better licensing. I May return to Parallels if/when they get their act together.

TJF@Denver and tornado267 like this.
  12. TBolt

TBolt Bit poster

Damn, I wish I had heard about the 8GB limit BEFORE I upgraded this evening. I am SO PISSED OFF at Parallels -- this RAM limit is b.s.

I expect Parallels to refund my purchase & re-activate my Parallels 11 key. Not that that matters because I am definitely switching to VMWare now.

Good bye Parallels Management.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    tornado267 likes this.
  13. Rolf-Noot

Rolf-Noot Bit poster

How on earth could Parallels make such a big mistake! I just paid for the V12 upgrade and they are now telling me to pay another 50 euros!! This is a shame and I lost all my confidence in this company (after paying for each update since V8)! Who's telling me they don't play these tricks after upgrading to pro? BTW, in my country this is also considered as illegal.

Reverted back to 12.0.1 and switching over to VMWare next time.

tornado267 likes this.
  14. Rolf-Noot

Rolf-Noot Bit poster

Updating to VMware is even cheaper than upgrading to Pro! And I even get 64GB and 16 cores back!

tornado267 and TBolt like this.
  15. TBolt

TBolt Bit poster

Has anyone found the same offer for USA customers?
    I had noticed, on one of VMWare's support pages, that Parallels users can switch to VMWare at the 'upgrade' price; however, I cannot find an upgrade webpage, for USA customers, that allows us to submit a Parallels key.

If VMWare Support sends me a link, I'll post it here.

16. EWTHeckman

EWTHeckman Member

It's been posted multiple times. But Parallels support always removes such links.

I found it by looking through their online store. The home page of their store lists many of their produces. Check the bottom of the page for comparisons to Parallels.

17. JeepM

JeepM Bit poster

I really hate getting Blindsided by crud like this. WTH Parallels???? Now I am trying to figure out what to do with my Support Code so I can plead for a Pro Upgrade to get my 12GB and two CPUs back! I am glad I used my AMEX to pay for the upgrade from 10 to 12, they are quite good with Chargebacks if I don't receive satisfaction via Support.

18. JeepM

JeepM Bit poster

I just got off of chat, and they suggested I upgrade to the Pro edition. I will be initiating a chargeback now, and will keep everyone updated on the progress. I am glad I didn't use the $10 Amazon Code yet, that probably would have complicated a chargeback. Anyways, thanks to the OP for putting this out there, too bad I didn't see it before I purchased the Upgrade (downgrade for me though).

19. EWTHeckman

EWTHeckman Member

I tested Windows 7 64-bit version under the current version of VMware's Fusion. All I can say is that I'm going to have to suck it up and take Parallels' sucker punch to the gut.

Fusion was unusable. Most of the time it didn't recognize clicks for 1 to 2 seconds. That made double-clicking completely unreliable. I needed to edit a list of entries in text, which is easy enough when you can double-click the entry, do the edit, then repeat. But without reliability in such a basic feature, Fusion could not be used.

20. DougP

DougP Junior Member

Strange that you are getting such poor performance. I dumped Parallels and switched to Fusion 8.5 a few weeks ago and have Fusion to be much faster than Parallels. I am running Windows10 64bit maybe that is the difference. I primarily use Windows for managing big Excel files using computational features that the Mac version of Excel doesn't have and have found the performance to be exceptional.