1970 build - waking Mac from sleep

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by iVelocity, Feb 3, 2007.

1. iVelocity

iVelocity Bit poster

Now that I've got Vista Business running within Parallels and using the most recent official release (i.e. 1970 - I'm not brave enough to try the betas yet, plus I'm in the UK so there's the whole license key issue), I'm discovering troubles when leaving Vista open and allowing my Macbook to go to sleep.

When waking the machine, either Vista took a long time to notice the change in time, or I find myself looking at a black screen and I can't wake Vista at all. It seems the only recourse is to stop the virtual machine entirely.

Is there a known reason/cause for this? Do the betas solve this?
    TIA.

Rob

2. asiayeah

asiayeah Bit poster

Good question. I also sometimes see a blank screen in Vista Ultimate and I have no way to resume the session, apart from rebooting the VM.

This seems like a big issue.

3. joem

joem Forum Maven

I just pause the VM although I haven't tried it very often, but I'm using Win2k. I may upgrade to XP soon, but wouldn't touch Vista until it's been out for at least a year, if then. I don't understand why anyone who isn't either supporting Vista users or testing software to verify Vista compatibility would even THINK of using it until after the first couple of service packs. All it does that XP doesn't (aside from copy the Mac interface look) is use lots of extra cycles. Why bother?

4. asiayeah

asiayeah Bit poster

Yes. But I think you should at least upgrade to WinXP.

In any case, Parallels should improve their Vista compatibility, but not wait until one year later I hope. :)

A lot of VM users are developers and they really need to run all sorts of OS, including the latest ones.

5. abanks

abanks Hunter

I had a similar problem with Vistas screensaver kicking in when in Cohearance mode !!

Took about 5 mins to come out of it !!

6. mithridain

mithridain Bit poster

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 under Parallels build 1970; everything is updated as of this writing. Windows is set to a screen resolution of 1024x768. I typically run it in full screen mode, which is 1280x1024, which is what Mac OS X is set to. Mac OS X 10.4.8 (latest patches all installed) on a Mac Pro (2x2.2 GHz) with 3 GB RAM (1.5 GB set for Parallels).

When I leave the Mac for a while with Windows at full screen, the Mac's screensaver eventually kicks in. When I wake the system, the Cube animation plays and Windows XP is back in its window. If I go back to full screen with Parallels, then the Cube animation plays 3 times (or maybe 2) and the screen goes completely black. Everything is still running, but the screen is all black.

I can activate Expose using the hot corner; this helps in shutting down the VM. Once I can shut down Windows and Quit Parallels, then the screen comes back.